• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stripping an MJ, what do I keep???

Hypoid

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Not a for sale thread! I have a builder that comes with a parts truck.

UPLOADS303.jpg

I want to get the parts truck stripped down and out of the way. It is a 1986 model year with 2.5 TBI, V-belts, AC, PS, PB, bucket seats, manual tranny, NP 207 TC.

The builder is also a 1986 model year with auto tranny (column shift), bench seat and 2.5 TBI with serpentine belt.

I'm keeping the engine, radiator/condensor assembly, front clip, doors, back-half, axles, engine controls, exhaust system. I'm deliberating on the bucket seats, that interior is kinda scary. :puke:

Is there anything else unique to these trucks I should keep? I could have the carcass hauled off this week if I get busy.

ALL_CATCH233.jpg

Not really relevant, but in my experience. Anything you throw away you'll likely need two weeks after you toss it. And anything you have two of, will likely collect dust and never again see the light of day again. LOL
The harnesses really come in handy troubleshooting your truck. I lay them out on the garage floor and use them as a kind of living wiring schematic. It has really worked out well for me on occasion. I roll them up and store them in plastic buckets.
I'd keep the whole bed, even if you don't do a trailer project, somebody will.

In my experience the "MJ specific" stuff always sells. Ebrake foot pedal is a pretty hot item around Comanche Club and even on here sometimes. Things like the headliner shell (even if the fabric is saggy) and plastic behind the seat (if it has it) are also good ones to hang onto. Good luck and have fun!
-Collin

Good suggestions! I'd have never thought about the e-brake, thanks!

front clip, BRAKELIGHTS (if it still has the housings) as the housings are hard to find, shackles (sell to an xj'r), leafs, what rear axle?, mj skids, the rest of the truck...

Rear springs are MJ specific. Also, there's a squat or load switch on the rear suspension that changes the rear brake bias based on load. You might want to grab that as a spare.

Save the bed and the tail lights. They are both MJ specific. Bed would make a great trailer too.

I'm keeping the engine, radiator/condensor assembly, front clip, doors, back-half, axles, engine controls, exhaust system. I'm deliberating on the bucket seats, that interior is kinda scary. :puke:
Thanks for the input fellas!

Save the bed and the tail lights. They are both MJ specific. Bed would make a great trailer too.
DEFINITELY this.

Also, keep the fuel tank + pump - it's not like the one in an XJ. I'd vote for the plastic from the interior too, it won't take much space and cleans up easy. Don't bother with the stuff from the front of the cab, just the back and side portions, the rest is XJ equivalent I believe. Keep the rear driveshaft as well, and possibly the transfer case crossmember - though I think you already said you were keeping those somewhere. Also, is the center console different from an XJ at the back end? I think it might be.

EDIT - not really a huge deal, but the crank for the OEM tire jack is longer on an MJ than an XJ, to help get to the rear axle without going under the vehicle.

Back