• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering pops...

redheadedguy

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I've searched and searched and had other people listen for it as well but I can't seem to find the location of a disturbing crunching sound coming from my steering. Just what, if anything, is likely to make that sound. At first it was only at one spot as I turn the wheel, but now it's much worse. Pops 3-4 times now. Popping is a better word for it. It's a really quiet pop but you can feel it. Maybe just from added stress of 33's/15x10 wheels? Any input would be great.

thanks

Check the trackbar, if any part of it is loose or worn it can cause popping like you described. Make sure the drivers side frame mount is tight.

Also make sure your steering box is tight on the frame.
Check ALL joints in front including upper and lower control arms,steering, and even axle U-joints.

Get someone to turn the wheel back and fourth while you look and listen for joint play.

It would also help us to list the specs of your XJ.

Don't like hijacking but I too am having this problem. For me its only when I turn right, but it feels like the whole steering is like separating when it pops, and it's loud. Really weird feeling, I've done a visual check of everything but nothing more. '90 with a 3.5" Superflex

I too have the popping. It is getting louder by the day. I'm going to go check all of my fittings under the front end in a little bit, the sound is driving me crazy. I turn to the right *pop* i turn back to the left *pop*. I can actually feel the popping through the floor. Anyone else fix there problem yet?

If any of you have Rustys trac-bar...there is ur culprit...I have one and this is exatly what it sounds like when it gets loose...which is f**kin always...so if you pull on it it wont seem loose but check because mine turned out to be sickly loose on both ends when I had a buddy check it..

Andrew

LilRhodyXJ said:
If any of you have Rustys trac-bar...there is ur culprit...I have one and this is exatly what it sounds like when it gets loose...which is f**kin always...so if you pull on it it wont seem loose but check because mine turned out to be sickly loose on both ends when I had a buddy check it..

Andrew
I'm running a redrilled trackbar bracket on mine. Weird thing is it hasn't done it more than about 2 months and the lift has been on a year. WTF?

Problem solved! :roll: I took the cotter pin out from the nut and bolt on the end of the track bar that connects to the brace and found that I could tighten that nut ALOT more. I cranked that sucker down, i think i bruised the palm of my hand in doing so. Went for a test run and no sound at all. Felt tight too. So check your tie rod ends and crank down the nuts on them.:thumbup:

93 cherokee with 6.5" lift/33" procomps, and my trac-bar was loose...I tightened it half-assed. Thanks guys, I'll play with it as soon as I get a chance. Glad I found this site, online heaven heh.

The pop from my rusty's TB and mount was actually the mount. The trackbar bolts and rod end/bushing were fine, but when I turned right, you could see the bracket ever so slightly create a space between the mount and the frame. It sounded like a pop/crack. turn it back the other way, and you can hear the mount hit the frame.

Have someone turn the wheel, and watch real closely the area of the mount that touches the frame.

Solution: Take it off and get RE's track bar and mount, use the Rustys as a spare.

Chris

ckh550 said:
The pop from my rusty's TB and mount was actually the mount. The trackbar bolts and rod end/bushing were fine, but when I turned right, you could see the bracket ever so slightly create a space between the mount and the frame. It sounded like a pop/crack. turn it back the other way, and you can hear the mount hit the frame.

Mine had the same popping develop shortly after installing the HD bracket (Rustys).
I fixed it by using threadlock on the bolts and torquing them down. I tightened the s%@t out of the jam nut too. It has been fine for over a year now.

Back