• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Terrible Steering Related Rattle

surfmon

NAXJA Forum User
I'll attempt to explain this ongoing problem.

It started over 2 years ago as an occasional annoying rattle coming from somewhere behind the dash. You could feel it in the pedals. It sounds like something is incredibly loose, metal on metal, or metal on plastic.

Over the past few years it has steadily gotten worse and more consistent, to the point where it does it 75% of the time. I've pulled the dash apart and found NOTHING loose. I've inspected in the engine bay(even with the engine out) thinking it might be in there, but there is nothing. The only thing that makes it stop is doing a left hand turn, which i just recently figured out.

Could this be something internal in the steering column? It is driving me insane enough to contemplate getting rid of my XJ, which would suck. I can't even enjoy driving it anymore. The rattle is deafening.

Anyone have any idea?

Travis

Are you sure its in the dash and not under the floor?

I've read post about the aluminum heat shield on top of the catalytic converter rattling against it.
Thats just about under the dash.

Last edited:
pretty sure. I've recently cut out the floor and put in a new pan, and it ratlled before that happened.
and the fact that is is steering sensitive leads me to believe it is not a heat shield

Last edited:
I'll attempt to explain this ongoing problem.

It started over 2 years ago as an occasional annoying rattle coming from somewhere behind the dash. You could feel it in the pedals. It sounds like something is incredibly loose, metal on metal, or metal on plastic.

Over the past few years it has steadily gotten worse and more consistent, to the point where it does it 75% of the time. I've pulled the dash apart and found NOTHING loose. I've inspected in the engine bay(even with the engine out) thinking it might be in there, but there is nothing. The only thing that makes it stop is doing a left hand turn, which i just recently figured out.

Could this be something internal in the steering column? It is driving me insane enough to contemplate getting rid of my XJ, which would suck. I can't even enjoy driving it anymore. The rattle is deafening.

Anyone have any idea?

Travis

Sounds like if it were in the steering assembly or related you'd feel it in the steering wheel and not hear it. The metal on metal make me think, heat shield. And you feel it in your feet. Turning would also gives a little body roll so the contact would not be present or full contact with no noise. Good luck.

I had a creaking rattle type sound in my XJ when turning. It sounded like it was coming from under the dash or maybe from the steering U joints. Tightened up the motor mounts and the noise went away.

Back