• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88 Speedo gear ?

99XJLove

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so I just installed 4.88 gears in my 99. I have been searching around and from what I have found I need a 39 or 40 tooth gear to compinsate for my gear swap. I'm running 33" tires and also have a ax-15 trans. Not sure if that makes a difference or not seeing as how the ax-15 and auto's came with different gear ratios from the factory (3.55 - 3.07) Also where should I purchase one without giving away a teste?

I guess I just wasn't expecting to pay $80 for a speedo gear. I was thinking more in the $20-$50 range. Oh well. I guess that's part of the game.

Try partsmike.com. I got a gear from them recently for $30 plus shipping.

Okay so I just installed 4.88 gears in my 99. I have been searching around and from what I have found I need a 39 or 40 tooth gear to compinsate for my gear swap. I'm running 33" tires and also have a ax-15 trans. Not sure if that makes a difference or not seeing as how the ax-15 and auto's came with different gear ratios from the factory (3.55 - 3.07) Also where should I purchase one without giving away a teste?

I'm pretty sure you need a 41 tooth. 39 is what I needed for my 33's with 4.56 gears. At least according to GoJeep's site anyways...

Try partsmike.com. I got a gear from them recently for $30 plus shipping.

Wow, great price if those are new OEM parts! I just bought my 39 tooth for about $45 from mopardiscountparts.com and thought that was the best deal to be found. Partsmike.com has it for $35!

Anyone? long or short gear?

EDIT:After some looking around on the web, 93+ XJs apparently are where the cutoff occurs from long to short gear. The 93+ have the electronic speedo and therefore the short gear. Just in case anyone else stumbles in from a search. :)
Also, got off the phone with Morris at partsmike.com, Jeep decided to screw with us here as well. There are three different "tooth counts" from the factory, 940, 960, and 1000 rotations per mile. Most others only use 1000.

Last edited:
Yeah the 93+ use a short gear. I found a 41 tooth from a guy on here for 35 shipped to my door. So I guess that will work for me. Now just have to get the jeep back from the shop!

Back