• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Two questions

Question 1: Does anyone know where to source replacement bolts for factory fender flares? I'll be taking them off shortly to do some rust prevention.

Question 2: Has anyone converted a regular 84-96 xj headlight setup to a waggy dual h4 setup? Down the road I am thinking about doing this? What do you guys think? Do they have the same size headlights as a regular xj? I have absolutely no electrical experince so I need to learn a lot before I jump into this.

Answer to question 1: assuming you have a pre-97 XJ, you want:
2x MOPAR 5500 3234
1x MOPAR 5500 3232
1x MOPAR 5500 3233
1x MOPAR 5500 3236
1x MOPAR 5500 3237

These are the boltstrips that clip into the fender flares - I believe they are either an M6 or an M8 thread, go to your local hardware store and try some nuts on them till you find something that fits.

I *think* they should. I'll see if I can find an 88-90 parts catalog somewhere on my shelf and verify the numbers.

EDIT: another route you can go is simply to fabricate new bolt strips. I didn't feel like paying and waiting a while ago so I got a 6x24 inch sheet of 18ga mild steel at Home Depot and a box of 1.5" #10-24 flat head screws, used my angle grinder to cut the sheetmetal to roughly the right shape, marked where the bolts needed to come through, drilled, and tack welded them in. Took me about 15-20 minutes, cost around $12, and worked well enough. Most of mine I used the originals after grinding the broken bolts in and tack welding new ones in, that was just the only one I couldn't resurrect, it was too rusty.

EDIT2: yes, those part numbers apply to 88-90 and 94-96, and almost certainly also apply to 84-87 and 91-93, since the body shape remained almost entirely unchanged during the pre-97 years.

Last edited:
they are not the same size headlights. i suppose it wouldnt be that hard just wiring new connectors to each lense from the stock connector and then add a new ground for one of the sets of lights. one set is high beams and one is low. i dont know why you would do it though you really dont gain anything from it unless you just want the look.

If I was going to do that, I'd probably double up actual XJ headlights and build a custom wiring harness for it, with relays. That way you'd get around twice the brightness.

Back