• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil filter curiosity/problem

eleduardok

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I have a 95 Country, 4" lift, coils and add a leaf... I change the oild regularly, and today proved a challenge. I had a hell of a time getting the old Napa Gold off, and when I went to put new filter on, it won't go... few threads start, but it seems to be hitting the block and wont thread anymore. I use the same filters all the time, and for some reason, something has moved. I am baffled. The filters are identical, and the old one came off so hard, I was surprised the new one even went on a few threads... It just won't go. This is my DD, and I am stuck until I get back to it. Unfortunately I have some medical appts in the next 2 days and really need to figure this out.
Any ideas would be awesome, as I GOT to get this figured out asap. Thanks for any input. Ed

Well, from what you have said, I would guess that someone has put a metric filter on an SAE thread OFA, and the threads are buggered.

1. Purchase:
53007563AB
@dealer

2. Use filter:

Wix 51515

That is my best guess and best fix idea.

He should be ok though. He just got the rig and says he does oil changes regularly. Says he used the same filter each time, so apparently last time it went on fine but this time it took a lot of effort to get off and then the new one won't go on.

No ideas to give you though!

well, since it came off hard, and then didnt want to thread past 4 or so, I got to looking closer. I have had it about a year, and its all OEM. Seems the filter threads and block had moved down about a 1/6", just enough to make filter rub the block. I took some rubber coated channel locks, twisted it up SLIGHTLY, which was barely a hair, and the filter went on. I thought they had a locating pin that kept them from turning, but this one moved down somehow...Just enough to make a squeeze on the filter... odd huh?

Sounds like you need to put some torque on the OFA bolt. Yes, I thought there was a locating pin too, but if you swivel that OFA when 99.99 percent of NAXJA users and members damn near get hernias trying to get them off, then something isn't right.

well, it took some force, and like I said, it BARELY moved... but I got filter on. This XJ has a habit of wearing out NAPA motor mounts and some other odd habits... I added a 3 row radiator, leaned it forward for a little clearance, and with the lift, fan is hitting sides of shroud... I replaced the entire cooling system, and it runs nice and cool, just the fan always seems to get closer all the time. I am thinking a 1" transfer drop may help, doesnt vibrate, but lift seemed to cant the motor some with the new front springs... If I can keep fan from rubbing, its a sweet truck for the 1$ I paid... lol. It was hit in the quarter once, dealer repaired by previous owner, but nothing that got into core support or anything structural, so I don't get it...

Strange on the fan, the 3-core of course would contribute to the spacing issue as they are a tad thicker.

If I was you, quality poly motor mounts and transmission mounts would be on my X-mas list. They will give you vibrations, and some people hate them, but your engine and trans won't shift, and in your case that is very important, and your are loosing them frequently anyway.

If your XJ was an 87-90 there were two pumps available, with different hub heights.

If your current water pump is a reman, maybe it could have been given the wrong height shaft during re-assembly?

Back