• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np242 W/locker?

Ethanbjork

NAXJA Forum User
I have an `89 xj with a 242 tcase. I also have a d44 with a powertrax that i'm going to be putting under it. I don't see much snow and ice driving in my future living in southern california. Could i get by with this combo or should i make the switch to a 231?

I have an `89 xj with a 242 tcase. I also have a d44 with a powertrax that i'm going to be putting under it. I don't see much snow and ice driving in my future living in southern california. Could i get by with this combo or should i make the switch to a 231?
just forget fulltime is there

If you mean a D44 rear, then it is fine, locker in the front = no fulltime
just forget fulltime is there
If it is a locker in the rear then it is perfectly fine. If locker in the front, thats a different story.

If you mean a D44 rear, then it is fine, locker in the front = no fulltime

If it is a locker in the rear then it is perfectly fine. If locker in the front, thats a different story.

I was assuming front d44 swap with lockrite. whats up with your sig? kind of offending in a non offending way?!

yeah, that part of the episode was pretty funny, but the rest was pretty lame...
but yeah, i'm about to lock the rear in my xj with the 242, so i was wondering the same thing. it's cool in the rear? even in full time?
yeah.. full-time is essentially the t-case differentiating the front and rear driveshafts.. allowing them to turn at different rates (like when cornering). so locking the rear will still allow you to run full-time. you could put a locker up front and still retain full-time drivability as long as its a selectable locker (leave it disengaged to run full-time). edit: so long as the locker acts like an open diff when its not engaged. i'm not sure if all selectable lockers do this.. i know the arb and ox do.

Last edited:
so long as the locker acts like an open diff when its not engaged. i'm not sure if all selectable lockers do this.. i know the arb and ox do.

If a selectable locker didn't act like an open diff when disengaged, what would you be selecting between...locked and ???

I run a detroit in the rear of mine with a 242. Full time is fine. No problems in 3 years of running.

I use full time in the rain on pavement to keep the rear from wanting to come around so much. lockers make sideways easy :)

My jeeps a 4x4 conversion and i used a 242. Well now I have front and rear axles with 4.10s and lockers waitin to go in.. Should i remove the front locker? There just lunchboxes I belive. Im swapin a friends to full width and hes givin me his axles so i dont know all the specs yet.

What about a truetrac front and Traclock rear? does that create adverse reactions in full time?

I have a 242 and TruTracs front and rear. Been that way about 6 years now. Full time 4wd is really full time as all 4 wheels get power with no binding. Everyone with 242s, keep 'em, they are plenty good. Enjoy your full time setting.

--Matt

love my 242. my jeep has over 270k miles and when i opened up the 242 to change to modded output shaft i was surprised at how super-duper it looked inside. i could barely see any wear.

99XJ w 4.5"RE SF and DB's... I got a NP242 with a power trax no-slip in back and I'm open in front.

Full time works fine. I drove it around in full time on pavement before and I've had no issues.

It you want feedback on the locker let me know. My only regret is that I didn't put one in 5 years ago. But that may be a topic for a different thread.

My jeeps a 4x4 conversion and i used a 242. Well now I have front and rear axles with 4.10s and lockers waitin to go in.. Should i remove the front locker? There just lunchboxes I belive. Im swapin a friends to full width and hes givin me his axles so i dont know all the specs yet.

What you lose with a NP242 and auto lockers is the ability to run the full-time on dry pavement, since the fully locked axles don't allow the t-case to differentiate as it's designed to do. The full-time is really handy for wintertime driving on mixed snow/ice and dry pavement roads. So as long as you don't use it on dry pavement in full-time, you're fine. It's designed to be used on dry pavement and other mixed conditions without having to shift back and forth, like an all-wheel drive car or SUV that you see so many of these days. Once you remove the differentiation from the axles by locking them up, you don't allow the full-time t-case diff to operate as it was designed, and it will fail if you do run it on high traction surfaces like pavement or slickrock.

Go with a selectable in the front, that's what most of us with the 242 have done. If that's not realistic, then just don't use the full-time.

ok so you are saying just dont use full-time at speeds above 15mph or so? but full-time is perfectly fine when trailing and whatnot correct?

-Nick

I have a 242 with a welded rear end. If I was going to lock the front i'd just totally forget about full time. I don't use it offroad at all anyways. There have been times i have hit the trails and forgot to switch back to part time and yes it left me stuck in the mud because my tcase sent all of the power to the rear ds and the front wasn't turning.

Back