• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dropped a bolt in transmission!

buzzbombxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I really screwed the pooch this time. :doh:

I was changing my cps. It is a tight fit in there for a hand, and the bolt was greasy, it wasn’t really well lit, and basically, I’m just making excuses. I dropped my cps bolt IN the hole of the bell housing. :twak: I have dug around in the hole trying to find it, but I can't.

I can’t really see a way around it, I think I will have to pull the tranny right? The thought of trying to start my jeep with a 11mm bolt floating around in there is terrifying! Does anybody have any advice for me? Anybody done this before? Any other reasonable solutions? I’m not to excited to pull the aw4 with just had tools and a busted jack, but at least I had the forethought to park it in the garage before I bungled this 10 minute installation

Is there anyway to fit one of those long flexible magnets in there? You could try and turn the flexplate while gently probing with the magnet.....just an idea.

Ok, so I really screwed the pooch this time. :doh:

I was changing my cps. It is a tight fit in there for a hand, and the bolt was greasy, it wasn’t really well lit, and basically, I’m just making excuses. I dropped my cps bolt IN the hole of the bell housing. :twak: I have dug around in the hole trying to find it, but I can't.

I can’t really see a way around it, I think I will have to pull the tranny right? The thought of trying to start my jeep with a 11mm bolt floating around in there is terrifying! Does anybody have any advice for me? Anybody done this before? Any other reasonable solutions? I’m not to excited to pull the aw4 with just had tools and a busted jack, but at least I had the forethought to park it in the garage before I bungled this 10 minute installation

First thing I would do is get a bright spotlight and search around the vehicle really well--sometimes they don't end up where you thought they did.

If you don't find it where you least expected too, then I would buy a magnet on a flexible shaft (Snap-On ones are my favorite), pull the inspection plate, pull all of the spark plugs, then have a friend rotate the engine using a socket and ratchet/breaker bar a tiny bit at a time while you aggressively fish for that bolt.

If neither of the first two work, pull the trans loose and slide it backward enough to let you get in there better.

remove the bottom cover bolt, wedge the cover open and use a hanger or magnetic rod to get bolt out(if you're lucky, it's near the front).

Success! :worship:

I already had that cover off and had shoved my hand all up in there feeling around. Well this time I go under there to try to spin the flywheel to see if it will come out. I tried to spin it, damn it will not spin! Why is the whole world against me? So I give the pan a vicious kick, stupid thing!

*tink*

Apparently that was enough to shake it free from where it was caught! From there it was easy to get out from behind the flywheel. Thanks a ton everybody, without all your help, I would not have been down there kicking my transmission!

:kissyou: :cheers:

ha, you said grope for the hole....
i did this with mine, and the bolt stayed in the bell housing quietely for about 2 years till i had to swap from the peugot to the ax15...

There is supposed to be a plastic cover around the cps and over over the hole? That would have been cool to have. I was wondering why that hole was so big. Anybody got a pic of this?

newCPS.jpg

Jeff

Congrads!!! Always neat to see a true Professional skilled at his craft-(tink!) Way to Go!!

*****Open Question to those who have been into the TQ/flywheel area :

Would it be safe to use a blow gun on compressor air (~100 psi)into the area, top/bottom to try to get the wandering bolt to fall to the bottom and then be accessable with a magnet or grabber?????? (SAFETY GLASSES!)
(thinking of seals, small parts etc.)

Best Regards,
Orange

Wow, if I had had that cover this never would have happened! When I tried it again, I dropped it again! However, luckily, it stayed at the top this time and I plucked it right out the top, it’s all good now :D

Orange, I would try compressed air, but be prepared for a good face full of dirt! If it is stuck part way, try to give the case a good jolt or jounce.

If that kick did not end up working I would have tried the spin the flywheel method, it makes a lot of sense

you can always cut slots in the sensor bracket if you don't have the dust cover......that way you only have to loosen the bolts (especially the top one) to swap instead of pulling the bolts out.

you can always cut slots in the sensor bracket if you don't have the dust cover......that way you only have to loosen the bolts (especially the top one) to swap instead of pulling the bolts out.

That is a very interesting idea! Sure would make changing them on the trail a little easier. :cheers:

That is a very interesting idea! Sure would make changing them on the trail a little easier. :cheers:

Yeah I wish I would have done that, oh well too late now. What helped a lot actually was I lowered the center part of my transmission crossmember about three inches, and then I could get a ratchet in there without any real cursing.

Dragging this post up again in hopes I can get some help. While changing the CPS today on my 91 MJ, the 7/16" socket popped off and fell into the cover-less hole in the bell under the CPS. I was lucky enough to get it out by pulling the flexplate inspection plate, but would like to find a new plastic cover since my AW4 never had one. Anyone got one lying around or can furnish a part number? I can not find it in my parts manuals. Thanks all.

Picture courtesy of Marcus Ohms (Gojeep)

CPS7.jpg

EDIT: Found the p/n's if anyone needs them, as follows:
53005129, 1, GROMMET, 1991 and below
52117660, 1, GROMMET, 1992 and up

Last edited:
Funny story...I droped on in the dark one night near the top of an open Saturn Transmission with no bottom access. 5 of us searched for that damn bolt (1/4" by 5" long) for 4 days, with search lights, mirrors, magnet snake and finally a 3 foot camera snake. After endless hours trying to find it with a magnet snake, realized the lost bolt was aluminum :doh:

Never did find it, closed up the top of the Tranny, and expected to see fireworks when it went into gear....that was a year ago, and about 20,000 miles ago. Since then lost 2 more bolts under that same hood...finally decided there is worm hole, black hole under that damn hood!!!

In 40 years I have never lost a single bolt for more than a few minutes till this Saturn showed up. I have lost one I could not reach easily and given up on retrieving it, but never one I could not find.

:laugh3: That is funny now, but I bet it wasn't at the time.

53005129, 1, GROMMET, 1991 and below
52117660, 1, GROMMET, 1992 and up

53005129 is no longer available, 52117660 is. I'll order the -7660 and hope it will "trim to fit".

Back