• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

terrible running until about 3600 rpm?

gijohns_xj

NAXJA Forum User
:repair: My son's 91 xj (stock I6 engine and auto tranny) has been really terrible running... from a stand still I can floor it and it will cough and backfire until I hit about 3600 rpm at which point it runs great... It has lost allot of power as well... I have replaced the fuel filter, cap, rotor, spark plugs and checked the plug wires (all good) but it still sputters under 3600 rpm...

Haynes manual said to check the o2 sensor of which I did and there is voltage fluxuating but the two white wires (heating element) are both open.... the motor ran when I had it disconnected and kind of smoothed out when I reconnected it...

what else am I missing? anyone had this problem before?
john

Could be you timing chain. Check you harmonic balincer for play by putting a breaker bar on it and GENTLY turning it back and forth. You have to do this with the Dist.Cap off and watch your rotor button. It should turn with the engine with very little or no play.

Has the distributor been pulled for any reason? An indexing problem with the distributor can give you the same symptoms.

The distributor has not been taken off but I will check for the timing chain it probably hasn't been changed out ever... and it does have 155,000 miles on it...
thanks

Mine has 240,000 and is on its second chain. I think the first chain was done about 90,000 and I just chainged it again at 200,000. I noticed more wear on the first chain than the last one. From what I can remember. I dont think the original chain was made as well as the new one. My tell tale sign was a small amount of hesitation and hard starts when hot then a BIG loss of power.

mcnamaag said:
Could be you timing chain. Check you harmonic balincer for play by putting a breaker bar on it and GENTLY turning it back and forth. You have to do this with the Dist.Cap off and watch your rotor button. It should turn with the engine with very little or no play.

And I tried this and guess what... it had almost an inch of play in the chain... so got it replaced.... but have to wait until tomorrow to get the gasket set so I can put it all back together to see if this takes care of the trouble...

Back