• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

impossible 4 me 2 troubleshoot

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
bottom line I have some not so joyous sounds coming from my front end.

stock steering linkage, bent tie rod waiting to be replaced by something HD

started off with clunking during slow tight turns forward and at all backward turns, just at begining of turn, then wore away I guess as turned progressed> replaced axle u-joints, didn't solve problem

then my trac bar, adj rod (upper) broke (Rusty's HD don't get me started) and had to put stock one back in for time being... now loud clunk is gone... reaplaced with small 'shaking metal' like sounds on any and all bumps. It sounds like somethings is loose, or rattling around a very small box (my brain soon, its driving me insane.)
I looked at and tightened all control arms, lifted and moved axle, bounced, turned and did everything I could to repeat noise but couldn't. Drive 3 feet on bumps, and its still there... am almost ready to rig myself underneith while buddy drives down road so i can figure it out ( I won't, just venting)
Shocks are tight, coils are seated properly.
Friend has suggested it may be the motor mounts, other than some aging they look ok, and the fact the sound is so light (not a heavy clunk but a lighter clink in nature) makes me think its not them.
My current plan is to replace tie rod (needs it anyway) Rusty is replacing the trac bar (now to wait 2 months for its return) and if its still there, tear the whole thing apart and put it back together just so I can say I did.
other than that can anyone think of some ideas, some problems, some solutions or even a magic act to fix this?

oh and I have turned the stereo up... in between songs its the first thing I hear... snif snif.

i had the same light rattle sound coming from mine on anything bigger than an inch. turned out to be the clamps on the leafs.

probly isn't it, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

emery

will check but sound is coming from front driver side.

Back