• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hum/vibration from rear?

The Adam Blaster

NAXJA Forum User
The last week or so i've been getting a low-pitched hum in conjunction with a very slight vibration from the back half of the Jeep.
Seems to only happen when i'm on the gas. But, i don't have to be accelerating, just keeping a constant speed will make the noise.

As soon as i let totally off the gas, the noise stops.

Any ideas what i should be checking? Easy things first please. :D

I was thinking u-joint, but in the past when those have gone on the d-shaft, i'll get a bit of clunking when i shift from my forward gears to my reverse gear. (Automatic tranny)

It's a '98 and the noise happens from the point of initial acceleration.
I do have a lift (3") kit on it, as well as 31" BFG M/T's.

I haven't checked if the noise occurs at 35 or greater speed, but i'll try that tomorrow.

Little update on this:

It ended up that the rear carrier and gears were a little chewed up. I ended up getting some work done and had a Detroit installed back there. :D

The Adam Blaster said:
Little update on this:

It ended up that the rear carrier and gears were a little chewed up. I ended up getting some work done and had a Detroit installed back there. :D

I just saw this post & was gonna say your bearings are shot in your rear end. But, it looks like you already found this out. I got an XJ with the same problems, I'm replacing the rear end.

Back