• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not impressed with E-codes?

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
I bought some autopal E-codes. The ones everyone here seems to rave about, and im not really impressed. I see a difference, but nothing worth writing home about. I have some 100w bulbs and a harness on order. Hopefully it'll help.

Is this normal? Is the ecode just that much better after the harness and bulbs?

I have Autopals too, and I'm not impressed either. On my Miata I have IPF conversion lights (7" round), and they aren't that good either. E-code lenses don't seem to throw a beam very well IMO. Maybe upgrade harnesses and brighter bulbs are the key

I like mine a helluva lot better than the burnt out sealed beams they replace but also wonder how much improvement can be had... when I turn them on, they don't really return the favor.

I have a paid of the IPF H4 conversion housings with some Xenon bulbs. Even before the headlight wiring upgrade they were 50x times better.

I bought the Sylavania Siverstars, and was not impressed.... UNTIL, I installed the harness...

The light thrown when it's nice outside is great... when it's raining, the silverstart are shit.

I did a harness, hella e codes, and 80/100 bulbs at the same time. I like it. Only thing is that I have them adjusted as far as the bolt lets me go and I wish it would go down further.

I have a paid of the IPF H4 conversion housings with some Xenon bulbs. Even before the headlight wiring upgrade they were 50x times better.
i have the IPF housings, they are in their 3rd cherokee, and they are one of the most noticeable and beneficial changes i have ever done. currently running with Silverstars. low beam has a very sharp cutoff, and the high beams are an incredible flood, almost NO pattern.

don't think you will be disappointed.

I have Autopal's in my Cherokee and Hella's in my Miata. If they are not aimed correctly, they are worthless BUT when done correctly, they rock. If you just swap the new light into the Cherokee and don't take the time to correctly set them, then you will not be happy.

I remember this with a buddy of mine. He put in Hella's (I had never used E codes at this point) and I though they sucked. Finally my first Miata 10 years ago, I decided I would try a set of Hella E codes, having read up on them and readjusting after installation. I was sold and any vehicle that uses a 7" round or the square (don't recall the size) headlight, gets a set of E codes as one of the first mods.

Unlike DOT requirements which is only looking at max light output, not pattern, to be certified legal E codes, the pattern is basically the same regardless of brand. IPF, Hella, Autopal, etc. Blub wattage or style might be different (or replaced) but the basic lens pattern/design are almost identical.

In the Cherokee, an upgraded harness, regardless of light brand, makes a very big difference. Lot of voltage drop thru the stock setup.

I kno theres a link out here somewhere but now I can't find it... Anyone have the link to where you buy the harness and lights... (More for those that don't have them and want them...)

I have the Autopal E-code housings with Hella 80/100 bulbs and I made my own headlight harness with 10 gauge wiring and it is like night and day compared to the stock setup.

Hope you guys are right. My harness and bulbs will be here soon. Was going to build a harness, but buying it is much easier adn not a whole lot more money.

With Hella E-Codes and the harness I made it's a huge difference even when using a 55/60 bulb.

For parts and to build your own stuff www.rallylights.com

Autopal? Come on, give me a break. What kinda junk is that? They're not "e codes", they're junk, dont blame it on "e codes". Sorta like saying "I bought a Trabant and its junk, all foreign cars are junk". IPF, PIAA, how about KCs (10 million candle power!) All junk just to save a buck.

Do it right, get Hella or Cibie and "see the light".

Autopal? Come on, give me a break. What kinda junk is that? They're not "e codes", they're junk, dont blame it on "e codes". Sorta like saying "I bought a Trabant and its junk, all foreign cars are junk". IPF, PIAA, how about KCs (10 million candle power!) All junk just to save a buck.

Do it right, get Hella or Cibie and "see the light".

Sorry, got to disagree with you. I have Hella's and Autopal's. From the research I did, I believe the same company makes both. The housings are made in India (Hella's are not made in Germany, look on the housing). The lens are identical, even the logos are damn near copies of each other.

Now I am talking about the E-code Autopal's NOT the "crystal" lens ones, which are total crap. The E-code versions are TUV certified for Europe and they are VERY strict on lens patterns, unlike our DOT system.

BTW, E-codes are not actually legal in the US as they are not DOT certified. If you look at the box/instructions, they will say "for off highway use only". I know people who have gotten tickets for this but it is very rare and typically only get checked if you are running high wattage bulbs (on the low beam side) or have them way out of alignment and get noticed by LEO.

YMMV

You may want to look at some of the better quality e-code housings by companies like Cibie. The Autopal housings will get the job done, but they probably won't impress you any more than Sylvania Silverstars.

I ordered the harness. I'll do some testing when it comes next week. I can set my camera to a fixed aperture and exposure time so I should be able to get some good comparison pics.

Back