• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crazy vibration!!!

miglia-spyder

NAXJA Forum User
Ive had this vibration for about 2 months now... I can not figure out for the life of me what is causing it!

It sounds like its coming from under my feet, but honestly that could be anywhere or anything attached to the unibody. At first i thought it was a binding, but i changed both my front axle-joints and wheel bearings. So ive ruled out the front. Ive shaken the piss out of all the links in the front including steering...nothin.

I know your thinking it... axle wrap!!! Well see thats what i thought too. Until i noticed that even when im not moving, and maybe trying to crawl over a rock. It still makes the nasty vibration noise. So thats why I dont think its a rotating vibration anymore.

It sounds exaxctly like an AIR HAMMER on my frame rail... And it happens whenever throttle is applied, moving or not.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

auto transmission? it could be time for a rebuild. manual? prolly got a leaky rear main seal, which would cause the clutch to slip and grab. or you could have a busted t-case, or maybe the chain in the tcase.... if it does it in neutral, you may have a loose torque conveter bolts, or something of the like: bell housing bolts, etc...

Last edited:
Its an auto...and I did start to notice a drop of oil ever once in a while coming from the back of the oil pan...

But i only have 136K, i shouldnt need a new tranny.

It wont happen in nuetral.

And ive checked the four bolts under the inspection cover.

Need information your rig... year? lift? tires? etc...

I would suspect that your exhaust may be hitting something.

A while back my transmission exhaust hanger broke and let the exhaust hit the x-member as well as rattle against where the exhaust mount used to be on the transmission itself. Your explanation sounds similar to what I was hearing, though it could be anywhere along your exhaust. I had the problem a few different times when different parts of my exhaust went bad.

Edit: Only difference is mine did it in neutral sometimes too... Maybe mine was just worse than yours is, idk for sure.

pull the inspection plate off the bell housing, and try to re-torque the converter bolts. other than that, check the transmission and t-case for cracks, then from there, maybe pull the t-case and remove the chain and check it out.
is it rpm-related? you may have a serious engine problem, such as a rod knock or something.

Sorry... Im used to having all my info in my signiture...

Its a 2000' xj 4.0, np231, LPD30, ch 8.25", 4.5" RC, X-Flex CA U&L, full leafs, 32" bfg's,

Ive looked at the exaust a little bit. But i can kick the cat HARD and i hear nothing.

pull the inspection plate off the bell housing, and try to re-torque the converter bolts. other than that, check the transmission and t-case for cracks, then from there, maybe pull the t-case and remove the chain and check it out.
is it rpm-related? you may have a serious engine problem, such as a rod knock or something.

No its not rpm related...The engine performs normally (OP and performance)

hmm. not in neutral,(or park i assume).
Prob not rod knock.
i would prob have someone next to the jeep while you apply the brake and shift into a forward gear,and listen up.
then maybe throw the t-case in neutral,taking the load off the drivetrain.
but i have a feeling its your tranny mount and/or engine mounts.
get a pry bar and check that out.

what happens if you put it in drive, hold the brake and push the gas a little? what happens if you have the tcase in neutral and do the same thing? does it change between 2wd, 4hi, or 4lo? i'm thinkin prolly transmission or tcase problem.

I remember it happening recently when i was in front of my house, and slowly approached our curb and then when i appied the throttle to get over it, it happend even before i was moving...

I was thinking it could be one of the three mounts (engine & tranny) I just looked at them last night and they looked to be ok still... Not severly cracked or anything.

jack up the transmisson. a lot of times you can't tell if that mount is busted till you try that. the way they break usually isn't the rubber cracking, but the metal separating where it was molded together.

what happens if you put it in drive, hold the brake and push the gas a little? what happens if you have the tcase in neutral and do the same thing? does it change between 2wd, 4hi, or 4lo? i'm thinkin prolly transmission or tcase problem.

Ive tried it in 4wd and it just got a little more quite.

It wont happen in nuetral or when the t-case is in nuetral.

I thought it would happen when i held the brake down along with the gas but i didnt get the noise... Just a little smoke:guitar:

Back