• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Idle Culprit?

Fastdemise

NAXJA Forum User
After a bit of wheeling at Tahuya Trails my stereo blew a fuse. I know it's the fuse in the kicker panel but I took this opportunity to check the fuse box in the engine bay. Well I check all the fuses and I can't seem to visually check F22. So with the engine still running I just pull it to see if it's bad. Immediately after removing it I can hear my aux fan receive a new lease on life and is running full power, also my engine completely loses it's rough idle. I reconnect the fuse and rough idle return and fan slows a little. Seeing how this fuse is apparently causing my vehicle trouble I remove it and continue to drive it for about 45mins. Also I noted everything electrical in my vehicle was running better. My SCANGAUGEII read 14.8v. I later pull into a video store kill the engine and when I return to restart it the engine turns over but no start and the odometer reads 'NO BUS'. I install a new fuse and she turns right over this time no noticable difference with fuse installed or removed while running. Engine now idles smooth, runs like a champ, and the transmission is shifting very smooth now. Voltage sits at 14v steady at startup and drops to 13.6v after running for a while at idle.

Not quite sure if I'm asking a question or just probing if anyone has any educated guesses as to why what I did, caused what happened. Wierdest thing I know but just wanted to share my experience. Thanks for any insight in the matter.

pdcoc8.jpg

Call me crazy, but with F22 being the fuel pump relay fuse I wouldn't expect it to run at all with the fuse removed.

With that in mind, I would then suspect that there is enough corrosion somewhere that power was somehow still getting to the fuel pump relay. If you haven't done it lately, pull the fuse/relay block up and check the underside.

I'll check it out. I'd be curious if anyone else can keep their jeep running without F22. Maybe my relay just needs replacing.
I'm almost under the impression that somehow the way I wired my stereo is doing it. Once I checked out my cargo area I found out my sub's remote wire had been disconnected from the box moving too much. Jeep still runs great minus my TPS dieing after some water crossing.

Back