• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Door Latch - Need Help

ewert35

NAXJA Forum User
I lent my Jeep to a friend over the weekend and when I got my Jeep back the drivers side front door would not latch. Upon further inspection I noticed the are some significant body damage to the locking/latching mech. The problem surrounds the lower two of the three bolts holding the inner mechanical part of the door latch to the metal door. I think it might have come loose and while he was slamming the door to try and close it, it ripped the attachment point off and now it wont close. The area where the lock was bolted onto is completely ripped off and at this point, outside of getting a new door or welding some metal to strengthen it and rebolt it, i cant think of anything to do. I dont know how to weld, so it might end up in the body shop for the fix, i was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to other options for fixing this issue. I took some pictures of the broken latch, although if someone could help me im not sure how to upload them.

Thanks for the help...

Matt

PS. 2001 Jeep XJ.
IMG_0114.jpg

You need to upload any pics to a website like Photobucket and link from there.

I'd say maybe use some rivets to secure a plate to it, or JB Weld? Can't say fo sho tho.

I think if you took the latch out you might be able to find someone who could weld the cracked section from the outside. Given how much the bolts stick out, there ought to be enough clearance for a weld too. It might be pretty tricky, but I'd give that a try, since there's nothing to lose.

You might even be able to weld it up with the latch still bolted in, welding to the heads. Only problem there is you'll never be able to replace the latch again. I'd try it with the sheet metal only first.

Make sure afterward that the hinges aren't tweaked, and that the latch lines up properly, or you'll tear it right out again.

I was thinking of taking the latch out and cutting a larger area of the door metal out. Then I think i might be able to cut some thicker metal for the same area and weld it in place of it on the outside. I measured the gap in the door and there is almost a quarter inch to play with. Do you think it will be possible and strong enough to weld to that same area given the door is going to be slammed during opening and closing? I will most likely take it to a body shop given i dont have any welding experience.

The weld would be strong enough if it was solid. If you want to go that way and there is enough room you could just drill a few holes around the edge of the patch and spot weld it then use seam sealer and bondo to fill it out. The bondo will crack after all the banging though.

Also if you are getting a donor door for the patch you could just unmount yours and mount the donor.

Back