• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tool storage in a wheeling rig

ktm racer 419

NAXJA Forum User
hokay, So at first i had a plastic crapsman toolbox that i just threw all my tools in and ratchet strapped it down tight. it was alright while wheeling, but it was a pain finding the right tool, as all the smaller tools i always seemed to need found their way to the bottom. that and each tool was eventually equally covered in grease and mud and whatnot.

I then upgraded to a 3 drawer metal crapsman box, solidly strapped down in back of the jeep. It was fine for a little bit, but gets beat up while wheeling. the drawer locking mechanism is broken so i have to ratchet strap it shut, and now that i have to strap it shutit bent the bottom lip so i have to pry it back each time i need something in the bottom drawer. and sometimes tools fall down behind the drawers and i gotta fish em out.

Looking for something i can perhaps bolt down in back of my jeep with the drawers facing out for easy acess. maybe hard plastic or i will start off with a fresh metal crapsman and armor the edges.

I have never seen someone complain about tool storage in a wheeling rig, so some people must have some good setups. Let me hear/see em'.

http://www.goclc.com/

Half dozen or so of the 12" and 14" models, colored tape around the handles to identify what's inside. They work great as ballast if I want to shift weight inside the Jeep, so I can put them low or offset of the rest of my cargo. They have handles so they strap down real nice. I keep separate ones for electrical, tape/adhesives/tire/hose repair, 1/2" and 3/8" drive, screwdrivers/pliers/1/4" drive. Saves a ton of space for other things instead of having some 'hard box' that's mostly full of air. ;) It also doesn't make any noise.

http://www.goclc.com/

Half dozen or so of the 12" and 14" models, colored tape around the handles to identify what's inside. They work great as ballast if I want to shift weight inside the Jeep, so I can put them low or offset of the rest of my cargo. They have handles so they strap down real nice. I keep separate ones for electrical, tape/adhesives/tire/hose repair, 1/2" and 3/8" drive, screwdrivers/pliers/1/4" drive. Saves a ton of space for other things instead of having some 'hard box' that's mostly full of air. ;) It also doesn't make any noise.

the "tool pouches"?

thats a great idea. wont take up as much space and easier to keep organized than a big bulky box that rattles around

the "tool pouches"?

thats a great idea. wont take up as much space and easier to keep organized than a big bulky box that rattles around

Oops, sorry...I didn't post the direct link. http://www.goclc.com/products/detail002.asp?partNo=1107

Got them at Home Depot. I didn't use any of the ones with external pockets because I don't like things flying around if I were to roll over. :eye: I learned this one from an old wheeling guy, who kept a lot of his stuff under the back seat (no kids). I used metal and plastic Craftsman boxes but HATED the clunk over every single f'ing bump. :D

I have ONE Rubbermaid Action Packer (the kind with the red latches) for things like fluids, spare D44 hubs/stub shafts, power steering hose, distributor, and fuel pump. :p It's one of those things I've packed to the gills and leave in one spot, so I don't feel bad about using it. Tools fit nicely into each other, which is why they get bags.

I have ONE Rubbermaid Action Packer (the kind with the red latches) for things like fluids, spare D44 hubs/stub shafts, power steering hose, distributor, and fuel pump. :p It's one of those things I've packed to the gills and leave in one spot, so I don't feel bad about using it. Tools fit nicely into each other, which is why they get bags.

i have the same exact spare parts (and then some) in a rubbermaid tote lol

After getting t-boned, I no longer have use of my rear seat(it was folded down when I got hit, the c-pillar is pushed in and can't put the seat back up now), so I pulled the seat bottom, and store all my tools and spare parts under the seat back, right now I have 2 D44 rear axle shafts, both D30 shafts, two drive shafts, tow strap, my socket set, and my tool bag full of wrenches, screwdrivers, and other odds and ends. And still have my entire cargo space free.

Edit:, if I took all of the padding out of the seat back and made it into a "lid" of sorts, and boxed in the foot well area, I could fit tuns of junk back there.

Last edited:
I made one out of scrap wood, it's holding up very well.

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0025-1.jpg

Stumbled across some cool storage stuff on Expedition Exchange...

This link has tool rolls and flexible urethane socket rails:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/ortt/

This link has Pelican stuff for all sorts of storage, but I found the 0450 Mobile Tool Chest about 1/4 of the way down the page especially interesting. 3/4 of the way down the page is a thorough overview of it. A little (OK, a lot) on the pricey side, but the "you break it, we replace it" warranty is nice:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/pelican/

I have all my tools in a bag that came with a black and decker 5 peice multi-tool. Carries multiple socket sets, adapters, all sorts of wrenches, pliers and a cordless impact. Definitely need a rubbermaid container for other stuff, but I'll source one of those when I get the parts that go inside it.

I use an over-the-shoulder soft-side tool bag from Lowes. Rigid tool boxes don't work in junkyards, and the soft bags can be strapped down when driving. Somebody recently posted about backpacks on the rear seat back and I am thinking about switching to that.

For wrenches I use these, one from Bucket-Boss and another from Craftsman. Both suck. I am going to get a local seamstress to make some out of leather eventually. I want another one for screwdrivers but other tools can rattle around I don't care.

41WHY8R708L._SS500_.jpg

For sockets I use these rails from Lowes. They are the best I've found yet. I have five of these in the bag for 3/8 SAE, 3/8 metric, 1/4 SAE and metric, 3/8 and 1/4 Torx, and another for utility sockets (O2, spark plugs, etc). The socket buttons can be added or removed and they are the same width regardless of socket stud, so you can mix 1/2 and 3/8 sockets on the same rail. They also have they spring detent balls so the sockets clip on snugly.

socketrail.jpg

I have a separate bag for stuff that I need in the vehicle but that I don't need to carry, which holds things like electrical wire, turkey baster, power tools, etc

I'm using socket rails as well, they're great, assuming you put the sockets back when you're done.

yes... but I still run with car seats in the back...So I will be putting my tool box right on the tail... I know it is not ideal but I still have 2 kids that love to go wheeling and if I can give them a spirit - knowledge to spin a wrench or two it will be a good thing

Do you have any issues with tools bouncing out of the drawers and jamming them?

yes... but I still run with car seats in the back...So I will be putting my tool box right on the tail... I know it is not ideal but I still have 2 kids that love to go wheeling and if I can give them a spirit - knowledge to spin a wrench or two it will be a good thing

Do you have any issues with tools bouncing out of the drawers and jamming them?

Heck yeah, gotta start em young!

No, with the drawer liners I used, the tools don't bounce, jamb or rattle. On really off-camber and steep incline/decline stuff, they'll slide a bit and get bunched up.

In my home box, I cut foam inserts to hold everything in place. Eventually I'll do the same thing here.

Robert

Back