• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE Install

Khary23

NAXJA Forum User
I just received my SYE from advance adapters. I was reading the instructions and this looks way, way more difficult than any thing I've done before. I want to ask those who have done it. How hard is it?
So far I have put a lift on, charged the A/C, done a tune up, changed the diff fluid, and done oil changes is this enough experience?
thanks

Last edited:
I just received my SYE from advance adapters. I was reading the instructions and this looks way, way more difficult than any thing I've done before. I want to ask those who have done it. How hard is it?
So far I have put a lift on, charged the A/C, done a tune up, changed the diff fluid, and done oil changes is this enough experience?
thanks
take your time, keep it clean, it is a snap.
you shouldn't have to force anything apart (aside from splitting the case gently) if you think it isn't coming apart smoothly, you missed a lock-ring, check and re-check.

give the blue rtv time to set up before filling it up.

make sure you have the appropriate sockets for the yoke nut, and the 12 point 8mm? top stud on the case before starting. a big plumbers wrench will hold the yoke in place really nice if you need a breaker bar for the yoke nuts.

Its pretty easy if you have the right tools(large snap-ring pliers and a large lock-ring plier)!

Thanks for the info. the direction that come with it make it seem really complex. Did you guys leave it on when you did yours?

I've done them in the rig before, but I was familiar with them. From the kind of questions you're asking I'd highly recommend taking it out so you can put it on the bench in front of you. There's a little more to taking it out, but I think you'll learn a whole lot more if you're standing, comfortable, and can see easily.

It's not very difficult, just a little time consuming. The biggest headache for me was removing the dust shield thing at the end of output shaft. I've done one on a tcase already removed and messed with my own tcase a few times on a lift. I really hate working laying on the ground. It took around 4 hours when I did mine, at least an hour of that was fighting with the shield.

I'll fess up to ~5 Hours. 1 Hour of it was messing with the external snap ring (the one you need the tool for, I had to borrow from a friend). It was smooth sailing after that.

Not very long if your XJ isn't very rusty I'd say. I'm not sure how difficult it is to unconnect the linkages and cables, but it's only connected to the tranny with 6 bolts/nuts/studs and usually the nuts aren't on all that tight. The one behind the shifter linkage plate is the most annoying, and look out, the tcase weighs probably 50lbs or so.

The biggest headache for me was removing the dust shield thing at the end of output shaft.
Theres a trick to that too,should take about a minute!

I'm waiting on a front drive shaft that I ordered from the JY. I'm guessing that I should get new U-joints do I order the ones for the front seeing how the new DS is a front DS?

Front/Rear makes no difference,they are all 1310's!

Got my Front DS today does this look too rusted to you guys?

PA140186.jpg

PA140188.jpg

Back