• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting probs. No start..does nothing at all

ccsp

NAXJA Forum User
Jeep sat for a few days, started fine. I went to get gas and when finished, Jeep would not start. Did nothing at all, made no clicks or any other noises. I kept trying the key and the Jeep never even tried to crank. Then I got a slight crank..then nothing again. I pushed the gas down, I have no clue why I didi this and it started. Drove it home, turned it off...no start. Tried it a few more times and it statrts OK again. I tried the key trick for OBD and I THINK it was a code 55 which would mean all clear? I had a 92 XJ that did that once after jumping a vehicle and ended up starting later with no further probs. My Jeep is a 94 4.0L auto with 130,000. Other symptoms: Did this the day I bought it for a few times, then started and has been fine until today. Made a hard left turn one day and Jeep almost stalled (was low on gas so figured that was the prob) Any ideas? suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I had a problem where my car sat in my friend's garage for a week while I had the front axle off, got it back on, started it like 5 times at his house, and it was all good, then drove home, (500 feet away) and it sat for an hour. Went to start it again and nothing at all. 2 days it sat, once the tow truck got there it started when I went to show him, go figure. Got it to my mechanic, wasn't there, went to start it again, and nothing. I had talked with the tow truck guy, and we both thought it was the Nuetral Safety Switch. I ended up punching my shifter forwards pretty hard, has started every time since then, except for when I sat past my rockers in mud and my starter is on its last leg.

The only thing i could think of is the ignition switch?? Does it have a "sweet spot?" Try jiggling the key when you try to start it and see if it starts. It could also be the nss, turn the key to ON, put it in reverse, and have a friend see if the reverse lights are on, if they are off, the nss could be bad. The gas pedal thing i think was a fluke...

begster said:
I had a problem where my car sat in my friend's garage for a week while I had the front axle off, got it back on, started it like 5 times at his house, and it was all good, then drove home, (500 feet away) and it sat for an hour. Went to start it again and nothing at all. 2 days it sat, once the tow truck got there it started when I went to show him, go figure. Got it to my mechanic, wasn't there, went to start it again, and nothing. I had talked with the tow truck guy, and we both thought it was the Nuetral Safety Switch. I ended up punching my shifter forwards pretty hard, has started every time since then, except for when I sat past my rockers in mud and my starter is on its last leg.

Beat me to it!

begster said:

Yea, I tried that. Yrs ago my 92 did the same thing. I slammed the shifter forward and it fixed it. I tried on this one and it didnt seem to do anything. The Jeep sat for about 8hrs while I was at work today..started right up tonight. Odd

Back