• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.7 Stroker

KJurasek

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone heard anything about the 4.7 stroker built by Western Engine in Denver Colorado? Looks like a good build complete with ported heads and double roller timing chain.

Any input is appreciated.

KJ

Never heard of them but you might also check out the Golen 4.6 stroker. When its time for an engine in my Jeep thats what I am getting.

Hesco (if you have deep pockets) and ATK both make excellent motors from what I've been reading....

...not everyone has the knowledge to build their own, myself included - even with all I've read here and on jeepstrokers.com, I'm still pretty clueless about the whole process.

...not everyone has the knowledge to build their own, myself included - even with all I've read here and on jeepstrokers.com, I'm still pretty clueless about the whole process.

I'm one of those people...:wave1: I paid the machine shop to do the work, assemble it, source most of the rebuild parts, and total spent on the motor work and parts was under $3000. Total budget for the swap was about $3500 as I did some other stuff while the motor was out. To save some cash I took the motor out and dissassembled it, ordered all the parts I for sure wanted in it (lunati cam, forged pistons, crank, 7120 head and some other stuff).

Every crate stroker I looked at was about $3500 to $4200 after shipping the motor to you and then shipping the core back. It didn't seem worth it to do a crate motor expecially after hearing some of the horror storys about Titans.

The tough part was finding a machine shop in my area that was reasonable, and wanted to take on the project. I ran into quite a few machine shops telling me that it wasn't possible to put that crank in that motor or would flat out tell me that they wouldn't do the work. I finally found a guy about 45mins from me that was excited to do the work.

Parakeet

Hesco (if you have deep pockets) and ATK both make excellent motors from what I've been reading....

My pockets are shallow but I pulled the string out, got a Hesco kit, and my junk is a rocket.

For the record, I bought the Hesco kit, had a machine shop do the the hot tank, magnaflux, bore, and 3 angle valve job, then URF Racing did final assembly.
I'm happy with the engine so far.

Last edited:
I forgot to add, like Jes :wstupid:, mines a rocket also. I can leave twin strips as I'm running away from just about any coffee canned ricer. I'm also on 33"s 4.5" of lift, and open 3.55 gears.

A stroker no matter how it finds it's way into your engine bay will improve driving enjoyment through the roof. If I ever decide to move on from my XJ now, the stroker will be the first mod I do. Hands down. The only thing I would do different is do a 4.7 vs my 4.6. It wouldn't have cost any more as boring is per hole not per size, slugs are ordered in .030 etc. The only thing I would need that I don't need now is maybe a adjustable map.

Parakeet

Thanks guys, that helps. The only reason I was asking is because looking at their engine, I have only seen one other guy on here that built an engine like that. The Cloyes (double) True Roller Timing set caught my attention, then I took a closer look into what other HP parts they put in the engine. Not to mention some of the best head porting work I have ever seen.

As for building my own engine, I would like to do it. I will probably do it with the core that I am going to pull out. But the kicker is, I don't want to build it, install it, then have it blow up in the engine bay because my torque tollerences were a bit off. It would be my first build. I am probably going to have ATK do the short block, then I provide the Hesco aluminum head with stainless valves and roller rockers. The engine I pull out would be my backup. I would stroke it too, but without the aluminum head.

Yeah...this is getting to be an expensive hobby.

KJ

Definitely keep us posted on the aluminum head part - I don't recall hearing about anyone on here running that (yet).....I myself am very interested to hear about real-world experiences with it, given the debate on here about how it would hold up....

I forgot to add, like Jes :wstupid:, mines a rocket also. I can leave twin strips as I'm running away from just about any coffee canned ricer. I'm also on 33"s 4.5" of lift, and open 3.55 gears.

A stroker no matter how it finds it's way into your engine bay will improve driving enjoyment through the roof. If I ever decide to move on from my XJ now, the stroker will be the first mod I do. Hands down. The only thing I would do different is do a 4.7 vs my 4.6. It wouldn't have cost any more as boring is per hole not per size, slugs are ordered in .030 etc. The only thing I would need that I don't need now is maybe a adjustable map.

Parakeet

how are you laying two strips with an open carrier?

my 4.6 will lay twin strips with a little power braking, 4.10's on 31's and a Detroit (in a Dana35 :fuse:)

off the line it's a goddam rocketship, top-speed however.....

I'm still trying to find the stroker shop here in NE that I found a couple years ago.

I saw a link somewhere (I think here on NAXJA) for a shop that rebuilds just about any engine, either stock or as a stroker. The 4.6 (or 4.7) was a VERY reasonable price, and they were based out of NH and delivery within NH, lower ME, and MA was free of charge. They came to the door with your engine and took your core away... Damn I wish I could find them again, now that I have the money I cant find the site :(

I seem to remember a write-up on jeepsunlimited a long time ago about that Hesco head. The review wasnt great...

x2. He put it on a stock engine and he needed a bit more work to make it get any gains.. like shaving the head for higher compression and a Unichip.

My pockets are shallow but I pulled the string out, got a Hesco kit, and my junk is a rocket.

For the record, I bought the Hesco kit, had a machine shop do the the hot tank, magnaflux, bore, and 3 angle valve job, then URF Racing did final assembly.
I'm happy with the engine so far.

Would you mind sharing how large of a hit all that was?

Scott

I'm still trying to find the stroker shop here in NE that I found a couple years ago.

I saw a link somewhere (I think here on NAXJA) for a shop that rebuilds just about any engine, either stock or as a stroker. The 4.6 (or 4.7) was a VERY reasonable price, and they were based out of NH and delivery within NH, lower ME, and MA was free of charge. They came to the door with your engine and took your core away... Damn I wish I could find them again, now that I have the money I cant find the site :(

PLEASE FIND THAT SITE!!!! I have been looking everywhere for a place to build mine at a reasonable price and I can't find anyone. (i am living in Southern NH)

Anyone know what he was talking about? I really want to look into this place

Back