• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regearing only the rear axle?

BigMike80

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so this is probably a stupid question but I was wondering if I could regear just the rear axle and still drive the Jeep? I've got 33s on stock gearing and want to move up to 4:56s. The problem is $ is really tight right now and I would only be able to afford to do one axle at this time.

Would this be a problem for normal city driving? Would I need to take out the front driveshaft till I can regear the front axle?

Thanks guys

Ok so this is probably a stupid question but I was wondering if I could regear just the rear axle and still drive the Jeep? I've got 33s on stock gearing and want to move up to 4:56s. The problem is $ is really tight right now and I would only be able to afford to do one axle at this time.

Would this be a problem for normal city driving? Would I need to take out the front driveshaft till I can regear the front axle?

Thanks guys

My rearend is 4.88 while my front is 3.55. Same boat as you, just too expensive to do both at the same time. I have my front driveshaft disconnected. No way I'm chancing that one. You'll be fine, I drive like this everyday. Not for long, however. :guitar:

Scott

You can, I wouldn't recommend it (I'm a bit OCD about things...) but definitely remove the front driveshaft for safety like you suggested till you get the money together for the front axle. The tools you'll want are a ratcheting 5/16" wrench (for the CV shaft end, a socket + ratchet driver are not going to fit between the back of the CV yoke and the oil shield on the TC, ask me how I know) and probably a deep well 5/16" socket + rachet wrench for the pinion end.

Good luck!

Iv also been considering regearing my rear axle, and waiting on the front axle till i get more cash..from what iv heard, there isnt any problem doing this, as long as you dont shift into 4wd..

I'd bet your tires would be pretty angry at you, my guess on what would break would be U-joints/stock driveshafts/transfer case but I haven't tried this obviously...

it probably also depends on what upgrades you've done (unless I suddenly went retarded) - if you've got really strong gears and axle shafts, they won't break, something else will. But if you've got a stock d35 and TW driveshafts, things will be different...

Just outta stupid curiosity, how long would it take to break something if your gears are different. What would break first?

If you drove on a dirt road, loose gravel, or mud you may get away with it for a while but as soon as you catch traction things will go kaboom. Especially with a locker or lockers. My guess would be the Tcase to go first.

a friend of mine grenaded a Hummer H1 t-case in 4-low on pavement.

seeing as it wouldn't be a shock-load, my money is on the t-case going first.

ive driven with a 4.56 rear, and 3.55 front for close to a year now.... i have a terrible memory, but have yet to 'accidently' shift into 4x.

pullin the driveshaft isnt nessasary unless you sleep-drive, or others drive your jeep.

ive got a couple wraps of blue tape on it... (thats gonna be hard to peel! waay past its 14 days stick-life =)

Back