• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do i need lower control arms???

bigoltrux77

NAXJA Forum User
I was reading about a 5" lift kit and it comes with everything but lower control arms. The reason they say they dont include these is becuase they say the stock ones are long enough for this amount of lift and actually provide more flex. Here's the link http://www.rocky-road.com/xjtrailblazer.html
Can someone please clear this up for me b4 i spend my money on this kit? It looks like a great deal, except for the control arms. Thanks alot guys.

some interesting things said on that link. Personally, some of it sounds like bs, like the long arm section. if you do any real wheelin, those stock arms will most likely bend...especially at 5" of lift. Around town, they might be just fine. one positive is that by keeping the lower stock arms, you get to keep rubber bushings which flex better.

enjoy

So do you think i should just go ahead and buy this kit and see how the stock control arms do? I mean if i need to buy them i will. I just wanted to make sure this lift was a good set up. I was just going to buy the RE 3.5" kit with 1.75" daystar but this is more in my price range and it comes with good shocks. Thanks again

5" is really really pushing it for stock LCA's. I wouldn't do it. The RE flex arms have waay more flex in the joints than the stockers with rubber bushings do. The stock arms will twist however and so they do ok. They will fatigue and crack eventually if you flex them offroad alot, though. The stock rubber bushings do ride better than most other joints.

When installing my 6.5" lift a couple weeks ago, the LCA's hit their droop limit at 5 or so inches of axle droop. So, running them with no modifications of their stops at 5" of lift all the time would be very bad. They would have basically no downtravel left.

You can clearance their stops if you want. This is done by trimming some metal off the rear lower lip of the shock mount pads, located at the axle end of the front shocks. Look where the LCA would hit the shock mount at full droop. This is where you trim. Just remember that a little trim goes a long way here; don't get carried away. You will also need an adjustable trackbar, or some serious trackbar location at 5" of lift.

I recommend getting the aftermarket LCA's, they should serve you better in the long run and give you a better-performing lift. Also, the RE stuff that I ordered was top notch quality, I recommend them as well. Also, the Deutsch Tech shocks from Rubicon Express are great for me. The ride is nice and the damping is awesome. I would buy them again.

Give Dirk a call at DPGoffroad.com for the Rubicon stuff. He treated me right and his prices are good (surprisingly alot lower than from RE's website). Don't let him talk you into the old man emu shocks. ;)

Good luck, and have fun building.

Jared

OME kits are supposed to be good, but I'd buy it elsewhere. my first impression is shady shady shady.
looks like he made the webpage in about 15 minutes :smoker: , that's the first hint. read into it a bit and you find assorted bits of :bs:

I would be very cautious, at least look into it some more, find someone who's tried it first to be sure of what you'll get.

JMHO - probably works alright, just looks too shady for me

there is a neat picture on the site of some idiot just moments away from destroying his stock suspension though. That really would be pretty fun, with someone else's jeep of course.

airtime.jpg

I mean, dayum! I bet his shocks came up through the hood..... :eek:

Last edited:
The best improvement for flex on an XJ (other than discos) is LCAs. Get some good double JJ LCAs and you'll be amazed at how much more flex you can get over stock rubber bushing arms. I ran ORGS upper & lower arms for years and the flex was awesome.

moneyshot.jpg

Over the last year, I've pieced together pretty much the same setup. It does work really well, but I feel my stock LCAs are my weak link right now. No big deal, good RE control arms aren't too expensive.
I run 31s and can see maybe 32s but 33s? Not without alot of cutting.

Rocky Road seems to be substituting DT shocks for the more expensive OME shocks to provide you with the spacer/shackle at what is the price of the standard OME 2.5" lift. Since I haven't experienced the DT shock, I can't judge them. But the OME's are plushhh...

Don't forget the cost of a SYE conversion too. What good is a smooth riding suspension when you have driveline vibes?:(

-mike

Plus the stock LCAs are little more than sheetmeatal, they WILL get crushed/twisted if you take them offroad. Even cheap aftermarket LCA will slide off of rocks.

Back