• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power door lock relay. 90

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
where is the power door lock relay located? i cant seem to lock my doors. using the switch. unlock works fine. when i go to lock it it the lights dim and nothing happens. they were working intermittently but have now died.

i cant seem to find the relays. i found 2 taped together on the passengers side and then unplugged them to see if that was them. but the locks still unlocked and dimmed the lights when i locked them. while oiling the lock mechanisms they did start torking and now stopped again.

do yourself a favor and do a search for the power lock upgrade. i had the same issues with the power locks in mine, and after troubleshooting the issue down to a lack of voltage, i rewired a few more relays into the deal and all is well now.

Hallo. The relays you find, they have to be for the doors. There is nothing else to switch there.
Big Black XJ is right: search for Greg Smith power door locks writeup.

wim

Last edited:
well upon further inspection the relays were infact for the power locks. but they where for the keyless entry. looking through the hynes manual it seems that i have the wiring for an 89 in my 90.

when i unlock the doors all works fine and i get about 12 volts but when i lock them i get about 2 volts. after looking at wires and diagrams for about 2hrs i gave up then out of the blue they work fine again. i really think there are gremlins in my xj.

ya im going to. im going to do it when i get a new keyless entry module..

it was just so bizarre that only the unlock would work when essentially the switch just reverses the polarity and using the same wires.

Ditch the keyless, it's worthless unless you're standing right next to your Jeep, plus the remote is the size of my cell phone.

you're in Peabody? If you want to drop by Worcester on like Sunday afternoon/evening or so, I'd be happy to help out tracking down gremlins.

Back