• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What could this sound be? Noise after BB.

DaveD912

NAXJA Forum User
I recently put a BB on my '99 XJ (AW4, 231, HP30, Chry 8.25). The front is up 2"(spacer) and the rear is up 3.5"(full length AAL). I now have a droning sound at 34 mph - it sounds like I have an aggressive MT tire, but I don't. At first I figured it was a DS vibe, but I drove around and don't feel a thing in the t-case handle. Also, I get the noise no matter what RPM range I'm in. It's a total guess, but could I just be hearing wind noise off the front skid or something - since the body sits up higher now? Any help would be appreciated.

-Dave

FitchVA said:
i would wager money on the rear driveshaft angle being too steap.

i'm not sure if the tcase handle check method is sufficient to rule it out.

Thanks. That was my first guess, but I can't seem to find an angle finder to confirm it. Been to Home Depot, ACE, Lowes... I even tried ordering from Harbor Freight and they're out of stock.

Same thing after my Rocky Road 2 inch lift. Noise at 35mph.
Do a transfer case drop. I used 1 5/8" SuperStrut for a spacer ($15). You will need to cut it. You can also use this to lower you rear bump stops. You can get this in the electrical department at Home Depot.

Search this forum for drops...there are various ways...especially the bolt setup. You can also buy kits for more money...(same idea though).

You can also do the SYE and driveshaft, but then it will not be a "budget boost". Cost $350-500.

That's why I want to be certain that I have a driveline vibe, I'd rather spend the $ and do an SYE. I don't like the idea of lowering the tcase. I just ordered an angle finder through Lowe's, should be here tomorrow.

Back