• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swap to pre-97 gauge cluster and steering wheel

david.macke

NAXJA Forum User
I know this may sound crazy because most people go the other way but I am wanting to swap in a pre-97 gauge cluster into my 99. I dont exactly know why but I think the older ones look better. I also wanted to swap in a older style steering wheel (one of the three spoke without the airbag). Is this plausible if its even possible? Thanks.

You could swap the steering wheel, but column I doubt it.

You are not supposed to, and I do not recommend it.. but people do it.

I don't think a GM wheel would fit on a Chrysler column, but that's just me. If you're dead set on putting an older looking "pre airbag" wheel in, you'd be best figuring out which Grant adapters work and getting an aftermarket wheel. Swapping the cluster out would be a year long project that I would never want to undertake, dash cutting and tons of wire splicing, only to have something that looks cobbled fit...doesn't sound like fun to me. Not saying you don't have the skills, but I don't think anyone could make that look right. Just my .02.
-Collin

Back