• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gasket sets...the whole enchilada!

Hypoid

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I searched gasket sets and came up with a spattering of topics.

First things first: 1997 XJ, 4.0, automatic. Vehicle will remain stock for DD use.

I'm dropping in a JY engine. While I have it on the stand, I want to renew all the gaskets, timing set, oil pump.

My internet searches have turned up a number of sets that should do all of what I want. I have to wonder if there is a master set???

Short of new rings and bearings, are there any other gaskets/wear parts I am overlooking?

TIA

A "master set" is getting to be increasingly rare for anything save your typical Small Block engine.

For us, we end up buying two sets to make one full "master" set:

- Head Set (includes everything from the head gasket up)
- Conversion Set (includes everything underneath the head gasket.)

It's also fairly typical that you either end up with a couple of extra gaskets (to increase coverage for a given kit, variations are included,) or you need to buy some small loose gaskets (same reason, reverse approach.) So, check the inclusion list carefully to make sure you can have everything in hand before you get started.

Brand preference? I take Victor/Reinz when I can find it, Fel-Pro when I can't. Fel-Pro is good, but I've found Victor to be incrementally better (just harder to find.) Kinda like the difference between Baldwin and Wix oil filters - Baldwin is incrementally better, but Wix is easier to find.

Back