• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FRONT AXLE NUT

idahjo

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone confirm the front axle nut size on an XJ. It appears to be about 1 3/8" but not sure if it is an SAE or METRIC size. Looks like I have to order one and want to be sure first.
Thanks!

and 175 ft./lbs. of torque.

ha yeah, i actually hammered a 35 onto mine, cuz i already had it:D it worked just fine.... wouldn't recommend it if you can afford the other one, and you have a ride to the store.

x2 Wim...it wasn't fun :D

You can also use a 1-7/16".

:D Not on my 36mm socket, Wim! 1/2", very specifically.

Yep, 36mm for sure. I called three local dealers, all were around $32 for the nut!! I found the nut, flat washer, retainer and cotter pin in a kit at an auto parts store for about $9.

save the old 36mm, just incase you have to adjust the spanner nut on the rear end. well if you have the 8.25 rear.

Hallo. You can leave the axle nuts on the axle,
If you will only renew the U-joints.
It is a little bit harder to take out the axle with the hub attached.
I did it. haha.

wim

That crossed my mind, but after it was all said and done, I'm glad that boat-anchor wasn't dangling on the end when the 'U' joint was replaced. "Mission accomplished" Old-Guys Rule!
(I am 70 and my father is 91. He is a retired GM mechanic)

Thats awesome, I hope when I get to your age I can still be turning wrenches!

Thats awesome, I hope when I get to your age I can still be turning wrenches!

HEH! Interesting duo are we... his knees don't allow him to get down on the floor or off a creeper anymore, so I do the monkey work. I pull the axle while he supervises and puts it on the bench; he leans his cane against the wall and takes his BFH to the bugger. It 'goes down', baby ;^)

Hell I'd be happy with just being able to use NAXJA.org when I'm 70!!! I agree - You guys are awesome!

Back