• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BA10/5 shifter

dfreeman616

NAXJA Forum User
so a guy bought a shifter off of me for a ba 10/5. the one i sold came out of an early (87 or 88 as i recall) comanche 2wd. it doesn't seem to fit his, i'm not sure the year of his transmission but i'm pretty sure it's a 4wd. anyone know anything about different shiters used on these transmissions? it's sticking about an inch up he says, but i haven't seen it to answer much more.

Maybe there is some confusion as to the transmission.

AX4 - 4 speed manual - manufactured by Aisin - used 84-86 with 2.5L I4 and 2.8L V6 engines

T4 & T5 - 4 & 5 speed manual - manufactured by Borg Warner - used 84-86 with 2.5L I4 and 2.8L V6 engines

BA10/5 - 5 speed manual - manufactured by Peugot - used only up to 89

AX5 - 5 speed manual - manufactured by Aisin - used with 2.8L V6 and 87+ with 2.5L I4

AX15 - 5 speed manual - manufactured by Aisin - used with 4.0L I6 engines

2wd and 4wd wouldnt matter...i had a problem with mine when i reinstalled my trans. The guy who rebuilt it left the trans selector in 3rd gear and i couldnt get my shifter down all the way b/c i would hit the gate inside. I had to wiggle the trans back into "N" and then the shifter popped back down all the way...kinda confusing but you get what i mean?

Last night, I was given a free low miles 4wd BA10 in astonishingly good shape that I plan on swapping in to my 2wd MJ. It came from a YJ, and the guy included the YJ shifter, and a XJ BA10 shifter. The shifters both have the big coupler in the middle, but are obviously differently bent above that, but the big difference is the portion that goes into the transmission. One of the shifters is about 1/2-3/4" longer. And now I wish I was paying more attention when he said which one fit, I think the longer post fits the YJ tranny, but they do not appear to be interchangeable, at least not the part that fits in the tranny. I should be able to swap the top portion of the shifter rod from the XJ to the YJ shifter base. Come to think of it, the shifter currently in my MJ is different from these other 2 as well since it does not have the large coupler thing, its just one solid piece from tranny to the threads for the knob. Im not sure how the tranny end compares sinec I have never pulled it. So I have 3 different BA10 shifters on hand, all Jeep.

Back