• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me pick a steering upgrade. I have a dead spot.

Which steering upgrade?

• Ballistic Fab

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Rusty's

Votes: 10 9.8%
  • Currie Enterprises

Votes: 53 52.0%
  • JCR Offroad

Votes: 23 22.5%

• Total voters

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
Well like the title says.

'98 Sport, hp D30 w/Big Boar locker, recently installed BDS 4.5" long arm lift w/adjustable trackbar, SYE kit, 32-11.50 BFG A/T's, yada yada yada....

This is my DD and though I have no plans to do any hardcore rock crawling, I am planning on desert camping trips and general offroading. (For example, I'm going to Death Valley next month)...

So I noticed right after I did the lift, I had acquired the dreaded dead spot. It's not real bad. I have total control of the Jeep. It just tends to wander a bit on the freeway. I have maybe a little under 1/8 turn slop in the steering wheel.

From what I understand, I don't really "need" a steering box reinforcement plate, but that's next anyway....

So I'm thinking of replacing the tie rod/drag link set up with an upgrade. Also I can't justify the need for an OTK set up.

Here's what I have gleaned so far:

Rugged Ridge... Looks like quality is lacking. Not even in the running.

Ballistic Fab... Has what looks like a nice set up. I can't find much as far as pro's and con's about theirs... And the price seems right.

Rusty's... Price is right, trusted source. However I have found a few who still complained about the dead spot.

Currie... Trusted source, haven't heard any complaints about dead spots. However the entire drag link must be replaced if the TRE goes out.The price is a bit high, but I'm willing to pay a little more if it solves all my problems.

JCR.... Ah yes, JCR..... Well, after reading page, after page, after...... Seems like the jury is still out on that one. Looks like it's about 50-50. Some have the dead spot and some don't. It could be like everything else on the XJ, some have problems with a certain mod and some don't. Anyway, the price is about in the middle, but unless I'm wrong the whole "poly bushing" thing seems like a band aid to me.....

Thoughts? Comments?

Is anyone running any of these? I'd really like first hand experience instead of the "my brother knows a guy" stories....

Thanks.

Currie. Hands down. Good luck breaking a tre on the draglink. I have this setup and LOVE it. Zero deadspot, pure beef. Go with currie!

Where is the "None of the above" option?
Not sure which Ballistic kit you were talking about (they have several, with different options). I'd just piece together your own with good quality rod ends. It'll be cheap, effective, and last awhile.
If you don't want rod ends and you are keeping the stock D30 knuckles, peice together you're own inverted Y with 1-ton Chevy TREs. It'll be cheaper than the "kits" out there, and you'll probably end up with a bunch of leftover tubing (which is handy for your friend's that need steering or for about a million other uses)
Also I can't justify the need for an OTK set up.
This doesn't make much sense to me, if you are replacing it anyway, why not? Its the same cost.
...but unless I'm wrong the whole "poly bushing" thing seems like a band aid to me.....
It does to me as well, IMO there are better options.

I am running the JCR UTK 1-ton set up and the positive to it is that their quality of craftmanship is great. As far as the set up, it has served me well for a couple years now, but the poly spacer, I agree, is a sort of band aid. I have bent the pass side TRE as well as the drag link down side TRE in the past 2 wheeling trips. Now granted it happened for various reasons, it was still enough to leave me scratching my head thinking "why did I buy 1-ton steering if it could not take that moderate abuse?" I am looking at upgrading to a different set up in the future, but the JCR has served it's purpose for the most part. I have experienced the dead spot in the steering when the poly bushing gets worn out. I must say that their customer service and "average Joe-ness" is appreciated by the common folk like myself..

RCman,

I don't think I really need OTK for the type of off roading I'm planning.

And from what I have researched, there is a host of other mods I may have to do to get there.

IE: shave coil buckets, move track bar, move sway bar link mounts.

Just not interested nor do I believe I need it.

The Ballistic kit I'm looking at is the Chevy Tie Rod End Y-link.

Thanks.

I also might follow up on the Rusty's steering...first hand experience with it and it was not all that great, it is a glorified y-link set up (as well as others are, but they are alot better :D) the TRE's are still what I consider light duty. My friend has it now and when he called to order the TRE replacements from Rusty's they only stocked one side. By the time he ran down the different part numbers and got all the ends, he has as much as a new steering system in it. I am not another "Rusty's basher" by any means, hell,I like the guy, but his steering was leaving somthing to be desired in my opinion.

Cheeseman-OUT!

jcr. comes with poly spacer so no dead spot

i beg to differ... i always had issues... with poly spacers all gosh dang over the place... the one that came with it was shot within a week.

Where is the "None of the above" option?
Not sure which Ballistic kit you were talking about (they have several, with different options). I'd just piece together your own with good quality rod ends. It'll be cheap, effective, and last awhile.
If you don't want rod ends and you are keeping the stock D30 knuckles, peice together you're own inverted Y with 1-ton Chevy TREs. It'll be cheaper than the "kits" out there, and you'll probably end up with a bunch of leftover tubing (which is handy for your friend's that need steering or for about a million other uses)

This doesn't make much sense to me, if you are replacing it anyway, why not? Its the same cost.
It does to me as well, IMO there are better options.

I am running the JCR UTK 1-ton set up and the positive to it is that their quality of craftmanship is great. As far as the set up, it has served me well for a couple years now, but the poly spacer, I agree, is a sort of band aid. I have bent the pass side TRE as well as the drag link down side TRE in the past 2 wheeling trips. Now granted it happened for various reasons, it was still enough to leave me scratching my head thinking "why did I buy 1-ton steering if it could not take that moderate abuse?" I am looking at upgrading to a different set up in the future, but the JCR has served it's purpose for the most part. I have experienced the dead spot in the steering when the poly bushing gets worn out. I must say that their customer service and "average Joe-ness" is appreciated by the common folk like myself..

i agree with these guys... i had JCR steering and then did my own knuckle to knuckle heim steering, and i am left wishing i had gone with either currie or a inverted y setup of some sort... and i still may. the JCR always had a dead spot no matter what spacers i put where. like was said before, it is a well made setup, and would probably work out great with a WJ knuckle setup like is reccomended by JCR... but not so much as an inverted T.

I have used the Currie for 3.5 years and just replace one end wed, $40.00 ups the next day, no hassles. I like the fact that they have sold thousands of them, and they seem to hold up well. Look at the Jeep-Speed guys, that tells you what steers well and is strong.

I have used the Currie for 3.5 years and just replace one end wed, $40.00 ups the next day, no hassles. I like the fact that they have sold thousands of them, and they seem to hold up well. Look at the Jeep-Speed guys, that tells you what steers well and is strong.

So you don't have a dead spot in your set up Rich?

Ive run most of them you described including the stock set-up thats still on my 2000 @6" lift.I still have zero issues with it,so you might even consider fixing whatever is wrong with yours.I just got done replacing a RuggedRidge set-up with a Currie unit,couldnt be happier!
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1009538

Ive never had an issue with my Rusty's steering and I have beat on it pretty good over the years

I have had the Currie for about 4 years now. Just now replaced the tie rod end at the pitman arm. This system is great, I have had no problems with it at all. No dead spots, strong, and works perfect IMO.

Rugged Ridge is identical to the JCR except no poly spacer and at half the price. Same moog tie rod ends and the RR drag link I think is even thicker. Buy the RR one and get the spacer from JCR. With either setup, put the steering shock on the drag link together with the poly spacer most of the dead spot is gone.

RCman,

I don't think I really need OTK for the type of off roading I'm planning.

And from what I have researched, there is a host of other mods I may have to do to get there.

IE: shave coil buckets, move track bar, move sway bar link mounts.

Just not interested nor do I believe I need it.

The Ballistic kit I'm looking at is the Chevy Tie Rod End Y-link.

Thanks.
Don't take this as me picking on you, I'm just throwing out the options here. :)
"don't need" to me is the same as "I'm trying to talk myself out of it".

IMO, if you have enough lift to require you to change the style of your steering, you need to relocate the panhard anyway.
The coil bucket issue is so very minor, I wouldn't even mention it.
Sway bar links, yup you got me there. If you still need/want them they are easy to relocate if you've got a few minutes and a welder (or a buddy with one).

Again, I'm just trying to get you to think about it for a little bit. For the minor amount of work that is involved in the UTK vs OTK it is well worth the clearance gained in vertical tie rod height. You'll still be reaming the knuckles either way, you might as well ream them to get more clearance, I mean that was the whole point of lifting it in the first place, right?
Also, it'll help the angle of the drag link if you are planning on the invert Y setup.

Don't take this as me picking on you, I'm just throwing out the options here. :)
"don't need" to me is the same as "I'm trying to talk myself out of it".

IMO, if you have enough lift to require you to change the style of your steering, you need to relocate the panhard anyway.
The coil bucket issue is so very minor, I wouldn't even mention it.
Sway bar links, yup you got me there. If you still need/want them they are easy to relocate if you've got a few minutes and a welder (or a buddy with one).

Again, I'm just trying to get you to think about it for a little bit. For the minor amount of work that is involved in the UTK vs OTK it is well worth the clearance gained in vertical tie rod height. You'll still be reaming the knuckles either way, you might as well ream them to get more clearance, I mean that was the whole point of lifting it in the first place, right?
Also, it'll help the angle of the drag link if you are planning on the invert Y setup.

speaking of relocating swaybar links, jcr just came out with a pretty sweet setup... i just put it on mine to clear my steering, and it came out really well. good pricing too. i did have to extend them a smidge, but it wasnt really a big deal. http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SWYBR&Category_Code=DPL

Rugged Ridge is identical to the JCR except no poly spacer and at half the price. Same moog tie rod ends and the RR drag link I think is even thicker. Buy the RR one and get the spacer from JCR. With either setup, put the steering shock on the drag link together with the poly spacer most of the dead spot is gone.

First post, smells like spam. RR and JCR are not identical. Jcr runs off the shelf GM ends, while RR runs their own custom end that can only be purchased through one of their vendors.

i beg to differ... i always had issues... with poly spacers all gosh dang over the place... the one that came with it was shot within a week.

i agree with these guys... i had JCR steering and then did my own knuckle to knuckle heim steering, and i am left wishing i had gone with either currie or a inverted y setup of some sort... and i still may. the JCR always had a dead spot no matter what spacers i put where. like was said before, it is a well made setup, and would probably work out great with a WJ knuckle setup like is reccomended by JCR... but not so much as an inverted T.

i must be lucky then. i;ve never had a dead spot and i have been running the JCR kit for 7 months now.

Back