• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good buy? used Skyjacker 8" kit

DaveXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
Well I finally came across a few green backs that are burning a hole in my pocket and I've found a lift kit that's looks great. It's an 8" Skyjacker kit that only needs springs and rear shackles to be complete. All the bracketry is there for the front I'd just track down those few missing parts and BAM, monster XJ! What do you guys think? Good buy? Oh and I've found a local shop that said they could install it no problem. Anyway I love the thought but just wanted some expert opinions on the matter.

Ebay ---> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_1182

nah...not really that good of a buy. by the time you get coils, rear leafs, and all the other misc stuff thats missing from the lift you might has well just bought a new one. especially if any of those joints are worn out

All I see there is the short arm setup. There are no components to actually get your jeep lifted. For 8" of lift, those "few missing parts" that you need to track down are actually a lot of missing parts. It will actually end up costing you a lot of money. Not to mention you'll need an SYE extended brake lines, etc. 8" of lift is not cheap. Just curious what tire size you where wanting to run and what axles you currently have.

Last edited:
nah...not really that good of a buy. by the time you get coils, rear leafs, and all the other misc stuff thats missing from the lift you might has well just bought a new one. especially if any of those joints are worn out
X2
I agree, its really not worth it. Maybe if it was a long arm set up I would say do it but like wishihad said you will be spending just as much to buy a whole new kit as it would cost to buy the rest of the stuff thats missing, plus you will need a SYE and new DL with that big of a lift. Keep looking there are better deals out there then that for sure.

All I see there is the long arm setup. There are no components to actually get your jeep lifted. For 8" of lift, those "few missing parts" that you need to track down are actually a lot of missing parts. It will actually end up costing you a lot of money. Not to mention you'll need an SYE, adjustable track bar, etc.

Its a short arm kit with drop brackets.

Run away,Sky"crapper" is about the worst junk out there!

good info guys, I'm learning but I'm still leaning towards this kit. I've tracked down some 8" coils and a friend says he knows where a set of leafs are as well. If I can get those for a good cheap would that make this deal sweeter?

you also have to take into account about what size tires your going to run and if your axles can take them. also bigger tires means deeper gears unless you want your jeep to be a dog. sye and drive shaft will be a must at that size lift

i agree with everyone else that lift isn't worth tour time there is so much more involved with lifting an xj that high other then the springs and CA's your need to take into account your steering your brake lines, your tires size, depending on tire size your brakeing capacity, your axle strength, your gears, your wheels, and your drive train. your looking at probably a mininum of $2500 in other upgrades not counting that short arm setup your looking at on ebay.

-Dylan

For that much lift i would think Long Arms are the way to go. the drop brackets will lower your clearance under the rig and even with them your going to be looking at some steep angles on the arms. Those angles will make for a very harsh ride. From someone who just swapped to long arms after 40k miles in an short arm TJ (with only 4 inches of lift) i cannot work out for the life it me why it was my last mod and not my first.
I know its tempting with the price he has them for but after the money and all the work i think you'll be disappointed.

Dave

I promise you will kick you self later if you buy it I guarantee the joints are shot. Skyjacker is not very good when its new, not to mention used off a XJ that someone else has more then likely beat. I agree, with an 8" lift SYE and long arms are the only way to go. If you still think its a good idea after everyone here has said its not then buy and let us know how it turns out... Good Luck.

You still need:
new leaf packs
SYE
Drive line
Shocks
Brake lines f & R
Track bar
coils
angle shims
sway bar end links
hard ware to install it all
and possibly shackles to get the rear up to 8" and I may be missing something.

Back