• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driver side door speaker

More than likely it's the wiring in the rubber boot between the door & the frame. JIM.

I added a new ground wire becasue it had been damaged by the boot mentioned above. Also ran a ground wire from ground to the metal of the door itself, which corrected all my power window and lock woes. Notorious on these Jeeps.

Going to be working on this door wiring issue for about the fifth time this weekend. It's the passenger door speaker this time. I had my dealer parts guy look up the price for a new wiring harness, and he told me $400! :roflmao:

Would help to know what year but I "think" all radio color codes are the same across years for us.
Check to make sure.
If you have to just splice in new wires for your speakers.
For my 89.

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Pink
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Violet/Orange
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Orange/Black
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Dark Blue/White
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: Gray
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Green
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/Yellow
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Gray/White
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/White
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Black
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown

I fixed this problem on my dads xj. Just go buy some auto speaker wire and run a new wire. It's the easiest solution. getting through the rubber boot can be tricky so I just passed it around the out side of the boot and its been working fine for quite a while now.

The easiest way to get it through the boot is to use a coathangar, well lubed with motor oil or (if you're a perfectionist) wire pulling lube. Throw a little electrical tape over the end of the hangar so you don't poke a hole in anything, thread it through, tie the wire (and two or three pieces of string) to it, pull it through. Leave the pieces of string in there in case you need to pull more wires, and always pull a new string in along with a wire when you use a string up.

kastein- it sounds like you're an electrician. Pulling soap and pull string. I remember those days, when I had a job! Now I sit here and wait for that deposit in my checking account every other Tuesday. Maybe I'll be back to work soon. I'm running out of stuff to do on our XJs.

well, not quite an electrician... I am an electrical / computer engineer by trade (day job is computer engineering), but I've read the national electric code and done a lot of home electrical. I pretty much live in the Home Depot electrical/plumbing/hardware aisles along with the local junkyard these days.

on my 98 there was a connection by the fuse panel in the kick panel on the passenger side. There is a connection for the speaker wires there. I just replaced the wire from there to the speaker and all was good. It also isn't hard to run it right to the radio either good luck

my speaker wire broke inside the boot this past summer, ran a new wire from the headunit to the speaker and all is good now.

I should also mention a problem that I have had twice now is the connection at the speaker corroding. Just found that out today on the passenger side after fixing it a few months ago on the driver's side. Just clean it off and pop it back on. Voila.

Would help to know what year but I "think" all radio color codes are the same across years for us.
Check to make sure.
If you have to just splice in new wires for your speakers.
For my 89.

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Pink
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Violet/Orange
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Orange/Black
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Dark Blue/White
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: Gray
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Green
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/Yellow
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Gray/White
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/White
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Black
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown

Can someone confirm that these color codes are the same throughout the years?

Thanks,

Mark

Back