• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird Interior Sound..

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
My cherokee has developed this annoying sound/vibe that can be heard inside the floor pans.
I can describe the sound as a gargling sound from the interior. This sound is present at idle and is much more prominent while in gear (Automatic). If i put the jeep in Drive and pull the e-brake, its very obvious. When i am under the jeep the noise sounds like its emanating from the cross member area. By poking a long screwdriver around, i can feel it strongly in the exhaust pipes/cat.

Things i have checked:
* FlexPlate Bolts
* Exhaust Touching Anything incl Cross member or Fuel Tank.
* Motor/Trans Mounts.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated.
Pete

Last edited:
Talyn, I checked the linkage by getting don there and its not coming from there at all.

96JeepSpeed, With the jeep off i banged on the cat pretty hard and there isnt anything loose or rattling inside.

I also checked harmonic balancer for signs of rubber coming out and i didnt see anything.

? ? ?

Pete

So i have tracked down the noise to possibly being the exhaust hanger banging against the crossmember. It doesnt seems bent and the trans mount is only a few months old, i am not sure why they are so close ?

Suggestions to fix this ?

Thanks
Pete

Is the rubber isolator where the exhaust mount goes in picture one deteriorated?

Replacements at Morris 4x4:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=53000101

Also, when you are trying to track down sounds, get yourself a 3-foot piece of vinyl tubing, stick one end in your ear and use the other end to locate the source.

After I did some work on my T-case and replaced my tranny mount my Jeep was making a pretty loud knocking noise I cause of this same issue, I just took a big pry bar and bent the exhaust hanger down and bent the exhaust up, it worked no more noise. My thoughts on the noise was maybe the new tranny mount was lower.... I am not sure but the noise is gone and that's all I care about.

Can someone verify if that cube/square piece of metal should be that close to the crossmember ?

Maybe i just have something turned around or mis aligned ?

Thanks
Pete

Can someone verify if that cube/square piece of metal should be that close to the crossmember ?

Maybe i just have something turned around or mis aligned ?

Thanks
Pete

If it stops raining I will crawl under mine and post a pic.

Just a note: when I was purchasing my Daystar poly trans mount there were two versions available. One was 3" tall, and the other 1 1/2" tall. I went with the 3" and have had no problems.

Last edited:
Looks like you don't have the correct height mount. There are two, at least for Daystar. One is 3" tall, and that is the one I have installed on mine. The other is 1 1/2" tall. I suspect you need the taller mount.

Quadratec link: http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?kw=daystar+transmission+mount&submit=Go

At the end of the description click on "More", for both mounts there is a small print note that depending on where the exhaust bracket is determines which height mount to use.
orygunordnance

Last edited:
Back