• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Engine into a 96

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Curious what i'd need from a donor 99 Cherokee to throw into my 96 engine swap wise.

I gots a lead on a pretty low mileage 99 for a decent price. Just need to know what parts would be needed for this swap. I gotta see if the vehicle is salvagable as it was in a roll-over.

I read that 96-98 are directly interchangeable, just wondering the dif between 96 and 99.

Thanks

should be almost a direct change. maybe a few sensors here and there. but that just means to swap them due to the plug difference. the map sensor wires will need to be extended due to the newer intake. thats only cutting and spliocing more wire in.

Does it matter if the engine came from a stick or auto? Found a 97 engine as well with 125k on the clock.

Not sure if there is a difference between the donor being stick or auto. Sorry of the newbish question.

Does it matter if the engine came from a stick or auto? Found a 97 engine as well with 125k on the clock.

Not sure if there is a difference between the donor being stick or auto. Sorry of the newbish question.

the one from the manual will have a flywheel not a flexplate so you need to swap it over. the one from the manual will not have the "TV" cable from the transmission and possibly the "TV" cable linkage on the throttle body, but again, just swap it over from the one with the auto engine.

Awesome thanks!

Now I just need the guy with the 99 to email/call me back since he lives a lot closer than the guy with the 97.

Back