• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cam Sensor

2001JeepXJNS

NAXJA Forum User
Hopefully not a double post:

I have read that alot of issues with rough idle / stalling at low speeds has to do with the sensor needing to be adjusted using a toothpick.

Where exactly is the cam sensor located? Does anyone have a step by step how to do this?

Also I have a PO118 code anyone know what this is? I googled it and looks like it is possibly the root of my probelms and not the censor... Thoughts?

The cam sensor is undeneath the distributor cap. It is almost a flat disc.

I have a 95 and there was no adjustment I could see. Since you have a 2001 you should have roughly the same design.

I never heard of adjusting the cam sensor but perhaps it was something for the old 80's and very early 90's Renix controlled XJ's. OBD1 and OBD2 do not have a cam sensor adjustment for what I know!

That's news to me, I never heard of this. What is there to adjust? The cam sensor only goes on one way. Perhaps if it installed it 180 degrees off? I am not even sure if that is possible and if it is keyed or not. I replaced mine abou 3 and a half years ago or so, I don't remember! I think it may need to be replaced again though.....maybe that is my random no-start/dying cause. I replaced the crank sensor again and still am having problems.

YOU KNOW WHAT I am not familiar with the 2000 and 2001 cam sensors. Your truck doesn't have a distributor! The cam sensor is entirely different from what I thought. There is no distributor cap on your rig, only the cam sensor. Entirely different.

I think I am right about the pre 2000 cam sensors having no adjustment but you might just be able to adjust the 2000 and 2001 cam sensors.

I'm not the guy to ask though!

Jeep switched to a distributorless ignition in 2000 and 2001 for the XJ, so anything applicable to the '00 ignition system also goes for the '01 (and vice versa).

I'm at work and rattling this off the top of my head, so make sure you check it against the service manual to verify its correctness. If you've removed the entire sensor (removed the crowfoot and pulled it out of the block), you'll need to resynch it. In order to do this, you'll have to get the engine at top dead center (TDC) on cylinder no. 1. Easiest way I've done it is to line up the notch on the harmonic balancer with the '0' mark on the little gauge that comes off of the timing chain cover. Next, pop off the plastic cover on the cam sensor (it has two VERY small bolts holding it down..a 6mm head, i think...might even be smaller). You'll see a hole on the back of the aluminum housing of the cam sensor. This is where you insert the toothpick. Spin the sensor around until the hole on the "shutter" portion of the sensor lines up with the hole on the aluminum housing - the toothpick will pass right through and you'll be synched. Now, insert the sensor back into the engine block such that the sensor connector will be facing the rear of the engine block. You might need to wiggle the sensor back and forth a bit before it drops down and you can put the crowfoot back on. Reinstall the plastic cap, plug the sensor in, and it should be good to go.

The above is probably really confusing, so feel free to ask any questions.

Awesome thanks. I am just not certain how to line up the balancer at this point. Never done it before, I am assuming its fairly straight forward. Any help here would be great.

Ok, I've never done it on an XJ yet, but it's pretty universal. You turn the crankshaft with a wrench on the harmonic balancer bolt. Normally they turn clockwise, but it needs to be the same direction that the motor runs. But you need to be on the compression stroke, so you put your finger on the spark plug hole to see if it tries to blow out air. If you turn 2 full revolutions, with the hub mark coming around, every other time will be a compression stroke (air blows). So, you have to have air pressre building up in the cyl as you crank the har. bal. around to the mark. TDC compression stroke.

Thanks fo rthe help.

This is going to have to be a two person job huh? Maybe I can talk the GF into putting her finger into that SP hole... One last question:

When I feel suction on the the SP for the first cylinder I then set the notch to "0" using the hard to see gauge on the top of the balancer.?

Back