• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire snake oil?

RTFM

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/equal/

Equal is a dry polymer that can be injected into tires directly through the valve stem or placed into the tire cavity before the tire is mounted. Once inside the tire cavity, centrifugal force moves the Equal across the tread width and around the circumference of the tire, responding to force variations caused by irregularities within the tire, the road, and even the load. As the tires and wheels spin, Equal constantly repositions inside the tire as the load and speed change to maintain a stable footprint without vibrations.
The improvement over lead weights will be obvious the first time you get behind the wheel. You'll feel less shimmy, bouncing, and vibration. The ride with Equal balancing your tires is smooth, comfortable, and stable. Even more important than a better ride is a better bottom line. Equal will save you money. Even wear means thousands of extra miles on each and every tire. Less shimmy means fewer alignments and fewer component and maintenance problems caused by vibration. And a one-time installation of Equal means you'll never have to pay to re-balance the tire again. Ever. Still not convinced? Try it. Drive it for a day and you'll immediately feel how well Equal works. Drive Equal for a while and you will see how dramatically Equal reduces tire wear. Just try Equal and you will never mount another tire without it.

DCP_1667.jpg
:confused:

I'd say not snake oil.

Works in the same way airsoft bb's do.

I guess what I'm asking is what do they do - and do they actually work?

The beads are a replacement to spin balancing with wheel weights?
The beads are self leveling depending on wheel speed and circumferential eccentricity?

This idea is new to me, I'd be interested in hearing other peoples reviews - actual users not second hand - my buddies, wife's, cousins, sisters, friend from work at the diner info.

I can't find the vid, but I can confirm that balancing this way works. I have all my off road tires balanced with airsoft beads and it works great.

It's interesting - finding something you never knew about until a few hours ago, and now find there is a whole industry of - and people using it.... Going to research this some more.

But thanks for the input all.

It's interesting - finding something you never knew about until a few hours ago, and now find there is a whole industry of - and people using it.... Going to research this some more.

But thanks for the input all.

Tell me about it, it happens to me all the time as I learn more about workin' on our rigs.

I haven't done any of my tires this way but it is definitely a popular way of balancing our big off-road tires with their irregular chunking and whatnot. By all reports, it works well. Just have to make sure you add enough balancing medium for the size of the tire.

It's pretty commonly used by commercial trucks and buses. If you can't get it to balance with wheel weights, give liquid balance a shot. It's generally only used on large tires though, like 10R22.5 and up. You shouldn't need it for standard load passenger vehicle tires though.

I used to work in a garage that recapped and mounted truck tires. We would often use equal to balance the steering tires. It must work pretty good. I never once heard any of the truckers complain. That's saying a lot considering how much time those guy's spend behind the wheel.

Back