• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need OEM 98 XJ Fog Light Switch (Gray)

Sand-Dog

NAXJA Forum User
So my factory fog light switch went on the blink and I called the local dealer thinking I could just order a replacement. Nope. No longer available. But they would sell me the replacement switch for $40...AND the necessary wiring harness to make it work for $148. Grrrr. Besides the junkyard, does anyone know a source for the OEM part? Or a fix for the intermittently failing switch? It ain't the wiring, its the switch. Gray interior
98 XJ Classic
Stock (for now)

Don't do it!!! My fogs didn't work on my '98 when I got it - searched here and found out it's the switch. Pulled it, and sure enough, it was melted and nasty inside. Went to the local pick-a-part and got 2 (in case one was bad). Got home and inspected both. Both looked absolutely new, so I figured I had a spare. The 1st one lasted 2 weeks, 2nd one is only working intermittently after 1 month. I'm ordering a new "regular" toggle today to replace it - not worth replacing a new switch every month!
JM2CW

Good input, guys. So I'm thinking of getting the jeepsareus.com OEM switch and then attempting to disconnect the internal LED before installing. My main reason for going this route is to keep the dash looking somewhat original. I can live without the little green light. It's interesting that Chrysler didn't do a recall if the switch is consistantly melting internally. Guess there were no fires, and thus no federal demand for a recall. Instead Chrysler offers to sell ya a new fog light harness and switch at upwards of $200. The new harness thing is interesting. I wonder if there is a resistance issue in the harness wiring that causes the switch to overheat.

Rich, the Pioneer Bluetooth CD head arrived from cardomain.com. I'm gonna start the installation after work tonight. Where did you mount your mic? Sunvisor or steering column? Just wondering where the best location is for voice level to road noise.

FYI, they are light bulbs, not LED's. The night light is a clear bulb with a blue rubber diffuser over the bulb. The on/off bulb is clear, and shines through an amber colored lense.

Remove the blue bulb. If you don't pretend that your fogs are driving lights, you can keep the indicator bulb in place. If you want to drive around like it's foggy 24/7, then remove the indicator bulb as well. The bulbs are easy to remove. One is on top of the switch and one is on the bottom. You just rotate the bulb a quarter turn and them pop out. Good Luck!

Sand-Dog said:
The new harness thing is interesting. I wonder if there is a resistance issue in the harness wiring that causes the switch to overheat.

I read somewhere that this is the case, hence the available new harness. It's not a recall, more of a technical possibility, since nobody's caught thier jeep on fire from it that I know of. Mine did the same thing, worked a while, melted, stopped working. New switch and repeat. Researched on here, next time Im ditching the bulbs.

Correction:

I noticed today that I in fact kept the 'night light' bulb and removed the indicator bulb. This setup has been working well on a used factory switch for over a year. I almost never run my fogs, but they still work...

98XJSport said:
I read somewhere that this is the case, hence the available new harness. It's not a recall, more of a technical possibility, since nobody's caught thier jeep on fire from it that I know of. Mine did the same thing, worked a while, melted, stopped working. New switch and repeat. Researched on here, next time Im ditching the bulbs.
I have heard about a retrofit harness but I wonder how much the new harness is. I had one switch replaced already (on 97 MY). Maybe adding a relay would be cheaper.

Back