• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low lift and OTK Inverted T

woody431

NAXJA Forum User
So my XJ is at 2.5" R/2" F right now. I have 33s and 17" allied beadlocks. Im wanting to go up another couple inches, sit at about 4-4.5".

I have the "1-ton" chevy TREs and want to go OTK on the D30 and run an inverted t setup. I know the knuckles and pitman arm have to be reamed. I will be building a new track bar, probably 1" ID/1.5" OD with either heims or joints on both ends. I am also aware of the draglink/track bar needing to be parallel for proper geometry. I have a new frame side TB bracket and will probably need to raise the axle side end of the TB bracket to match the new draglink angle.

Basically, my question is, is there any unforseen problems I might have when running OTK with a low(er) lift? Ive searched and read and it seems everyone Ive came across is running 5.5"+. Thanks in advance

ive done it with a dana44 with as low as 2.5" of lift

I don't see any problem, except for the dead spot associated with all inverted T designs (the TRE at the connection between the drag-link tends to roll the tres at the knuckles before moving the tie rod, creating a dead spot). I ran a stock waggy inverted T setup for a couple of years, and it worked fine. You seem to have the details right.

I don't see any problem, except for the dead spot associated with all inverted T designs (the TRE at the connection between the drag-link tends to roll the tres at the knuckles before moving the tie rod, creating a dead spot). I ran a stock waggy inverted T setup for a couple of years, and it worked fine. You seem to have the details right.

the less extreme your drag link angle the less of a dead spot you will feel due to tie rod roll.

I have never had a "dead spot" with my otk inverted t. i have run it with as low as 2.5" of lift and as high as 6"

the less extreme your drag link angle the less of a dead spot you will feel due to tie rod roll.

I have never had a "dead spot" with my otk inverted t. i have run it with as low as 2.5" of lift and as high as 6"

You can minimize the deadspot by rolling each tre in the opposite direction to minimize roll, or by using poly boots instead of rubber on your TREs, or both. The dead spot in mine was there at 5" lift, but it wasn't that big of a deal...

Thanks for the help guys. This is one of the only newer pics I have since I put on my wheels/tires. I was waiting for KTM to chime in since I knew you were sitting pretty low. Id really like to stay under 4.5". Im on the lookout for a 44/9 combo but I think Im gonna run the stockers for awhile.

blbol.jpg

Damn cell phone pics. Guess thats all the bigger its gonna get.

You can minimize the deadspot by rolling each tre in the opposite direction to minimize roll, or by using poly boots instead of rubber on your TREs, or both. The dead spot in mine was there at 5" lift, but it wasn't that big of a deal...

yea i have seen people do this.

i run all rubber and its been fine

If you roll the tierod ends in opposite directions wouldn't that cause extra stress? The reason that the tierod ends are allowed to roll not just for fun. Which is also why they only recommend installing the rubber "spacer" at one end and not on both knuckles. Which would be the way to go if you wanted to, Advance Automotive sells a shock bushing kit for less than $5.00 that comes with 4 poly spacers (similar to what JCR sells)

If you roll the tierod ends in opposite directions wouldn't that cause extra stress? The reason that the tierod ends are allowed to roll not just for fun. Which is also why they only recommend installing the rubber "spacer" at one end and not on both knuckles. Which would be the way to go if you wanted to, Advance Automotive sells a shock bushing kit for less than $5.00 that comes with 4 poly spacers (similar to what JCR sells)

I agree, and never did it, but the EB guys swear by it, and my friends with EBs have never complained of any issues. I think rubber spacers with poly boots might be the best remedy if it was really an issue. But as I said, I never really cared that much about my dead spot, until I swapped to true crossover and it went away!:party:

Back