• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Estimate of serpentine belt life.

Walt Stanley

Pine Barrens Trucker
I'm going on 150,000 miles and the belt looks OK. I was wondering if anyone has lost a belt from wear and at what mileage. I have a '98. I guess buying a spare would be a smart thing to do. Who sells quality parts?

I carry a spare. I think the one on my XJ is a Goodyear Gator Back but my spare is whatever was cheap when I bought it a few years ago.

wow, thats the longest lived belt ive heard of
50k is usually recommnended
(I would'nt drive across the Mojave desert with that belt!)

I've got a goodyear gator back, and a dayco polycog on the 92 and 00
I actually rate the polycog higher. the grooves are cut with clean, chamfered edges
the goodyear had gnarly rubber shaving still attached, all over the edges of the diagonal grooves. The ragged rubber eventually wear away, which is probably why it required a retightening, whereas the dayco has stayed tight since installed

150k is pushing it

that said, ive only seen them fail when something else fails. i had a good 120k on mine when the idler pulley seized and toasted mine.

its a cheap, and easy fix in the driveway. on the side of the road...not so much

Replace it, or buy a spare to have in case it breaks.

I know I'll get some haters for it, but I'm carrying a spare I found in a junkyard. Hey, it's in good shape and better than nothing.
THe price helped, too.

I don't see any reason for hate on that, as long as it's in good shape it should make an OK spare. I still haven't replaced my belt because it turned out I just needed to tighten it, when I remember to I'll put the new one I bought and never installed under my back seat I guess.

I know I'll get some haters for it, but I'm carrying a spare I found in a junkyard. Hey, it's in good shape and better than nothing.
THe price helped, too.

Better make sure its the right size BEFORE you need it!

While we're on the subject. What's the easiest way to replace the belt?

When I pulled the belt off my 98 parts XJ, I had to pull the AC compressor, so it was pretty easy. Once I got the belt off, I realized it's in better shape than the one on my 97 XJ DD.

If I remember the Haynes book, the power steering pump has two bolts around back that loosen and it pivots on the third to tension the belt, then you tighten the other two to keep it in place.
I haven't messed with it yet, though - so anyone who knows better, chime in.

Easiest way is the idler pulley, below the P/S pump. Loosen the bolt in the center of it, then loosen/tighten the draw bolt which is at right angles to, and very near by, the temp sensor on the front of the engine. Once you have the belt where you want it tighten the bolt in the center of the pulley back down.

Thanks guys, all good info. I will buy a new belt. The idler pulley below the ps pump is where the tensioner is. I hope I can find the brands you recommend and a belt tension gauge, if it not too expensive. All in all, it sounds like I've been lucky up to now.

It wasn't on a 4.0 or a Jeep, but I just replaced the original serp. belt on my Dad's '98 Blazer w/105K miles and that thing was in pretty rough shape with a lot of cracks...I can't believe you're on 150K!

Thanks guys, all good info. I will buy a new belt. The idler pulley below the ps pump is where the tensioner is. I hope I can find the brands you recommend and a belt tension gauge, if it not too expensive. All in all, it sounds like I've been lucky up to now.

Kricket II Gates part number 91132, $14.78 @ rockauto.com

NAPA can get it for you but you will have to give them the part number at most stores.

DON'T get the Kricket I, it won't work.

Back