• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual electric fans?

Droopy76

NAXJA Forum User
I have an extra electric fan from a 96 XJ. Mine is a 98. My question is can I hook it up in place of my manual fan? If so can I just jump power off my fan to the new one? What would be the best way to hook it up?

Check over in Mod tech, there are a ton of write-ups there. The search feature here is sucky at best but some one will chime in with links.

As stated, there are many long write-ups on the fans. Dual electric can be done, but usually the stock aux fans are not considered powerful enough. Taurus fans are a popular conversion. But there are a lot of good reasons to stick with the stock setup or just switch the manual fan clutch to a ZJ version. It also would overload the stock wiring to just hook another fan into the other fan's wiring.

The pluses of all electric are:

1. Dash command switch(es)--have them run when you want them too.

2. Sensor override switch(es)--have them NOT run when you are fording bodies of water.

If you do two electric fans, then you should run two completely independent circuits. Run them both on one circuit, one thing fails--bye, bye head gasket/engine. This means double relays, diodes, multiple switches, and you need to add a second temp sensor somewhere, preferably one that comes on about 170 degrees, just like the bi-metal spring in the clutch fan you are discarding.

I have a dual stock electric fan setup: the pass side is controlled by an adjustable temp switch and the driver's side is the stock one that comes on when the ac compressor is used, temps get too hot, or when I flip a switch that grounds the relay(I keep it on all the time). It works for me in the 90+ degree summer temps here in the DC metro area with the ac on, but I don't have to cool tranny fluid. . .
p5220098.jpg

Last edited:
I used the Fnord Snaurus fan, myself, with only a whole lot of lower front cross member, as well as upper radiator mount modding (cutting and bending 1/16" sheet steel) with surprisingly good results. Mr. Goodbourbon deserves credit/blame for that idea.

Back