• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 Runs like crap

go1lum

NAXJA Forum User
Yes i have searched. My jeep starts up and runs fine for maybe 5 mins until it warms up. Then it will barely stay idling and won't want to go unless i completely hold it to the floor. I have cleaned and reinstalled my battery cables. Alt and batt seem to be fine. It never has any problem starting. I am actually very happy with the way it starts up. I have put new cap, rotor, plugs and wires and the problems still exist. I was told by a friends that there is a plastic gear on the distributer that gets wore out and sloppy and can cause this problems. My jeep idles around 2-300 RPMS and sometimes it loafs really bad. It is a 98 cherokee 4.0 AW4 NP242 8.25/D30 blah blah. Can someone offer me advice at what to look at next. Possibly 02 sensor. thanks

check the vac lines, could be a leak that appears after things warm up causing a rough idle? try cleaning the idle air controller, not really a bad thing to do anyways, it can cause idle issues if it is mucked up. maybe the ccv valves need to be changed or cleaned?

AW4 XJ should idle, when fully warmed up (20 minutes) at 725-750 RPMs in DRIVE.

Sounds like your IAC is fouled/not functioning. Unplug it and see if there is any change.

You can remove the IAC and clean it, carefully as it is breakable, and clean the throttle body. Use an approved TB cleaner, not simple carb cleaner.

With it idling that low no wonder it runs like crap--it is way past stalling.

Would the IAC be the culperate causing me have to fully press the throttle in order for it to run while going down the road. Sometimes it will idle from 200-~1500 RPMS bouncing back and forth

Get the IAC function, and agree you need to test the TPS. A fuel pressure test wouldn't be such a bad idea while you are at it.

Update unplugged upstream 02 and seems to have cured the running issues. Now i just may look into a full exhaust kit and header.

Back