• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crossmember exhaust mount question

andyr354

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a 91 XJ with AW4 and NP242.

The exhaust is hitting the crosmember and making noise in the interior. the mount that bolts between the trans and rubber mount is down on the crossmember as well as the pipe itself (the square part that has rubber inside of it where the fork that bolts to the pipe inserts).

Is there suposed to be a spacer under the rubber mount to hold it up higher or is something not put together right? The trans mount looks good and is not torn. Engine mounts also look fine and engine is not tilted in the rig.

Andy

Mine did this for a while. I loosened up the exhaust and was able to re-position it, and the knocking stopped. It wasn't by much, mind you. I think your trans mount may be on the way out, though. You could also shim the thing with a flat washer, but make sure it isn't going to fall out and become a bullet for the guy behind you.

Even when it's all just right, the clearance is almost nothing. The transmission mount can sag a little without tearing, and it will knock. On my 87 I got a little extra service out of it by shimming between the mount and the transfer case to add about 1/8 inch of height. You could also grind a little off the crossmember if you really want to go cheap.

I may make a 1/4" plate up real quick and do that.

Or just bend the upper part of the mount to make more clearance.

Back