• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hoses?

Loffs919

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i've got a question about 2 different hoses. i've got an 89 with the 4.0. there are two hoses coming out of the air box one small, looks like it connects to the valve cover and one larger (~2") that im not sure where it goes.
Reason im asking, my airbox seems to be warped so i probably need to replace it. an aftermarket unit im suspecting would be the cheapest route. however i dont want to leave two hoses unhooked if i throw in an aftermarket intake. can a put a small breather filter on the one connected to the valve cover and still have it work properly? and what exactly does the larger hose connect to?
thanks!

junkyard yourself a new airbox, it'll cost way less and fit perfectly! Oh, and you get the experience of removing the airbox from the vehicle it was in BEFORE trying it on your own, so you will expect any weird stuff and surprises coming your way.

The smaller hose is vacuum/vent for the valve cover and other end of CCV. Should be attached to intake whether or not it's an after market intake. It won't really hurt anything to be off for a while but since it's part of the system I'd have it attached. A little breather filter doesn't sound like a bad idea for a temp fix.

Large "hose" should be a wire/nylon type duct that goes to the exhaust manifold...it's only a "pre-heater" for the air box. Mine came off a couple of years ago, meh, no effect.

Unless you are going with a cone type or cold air intake I'd say X2 on the junkyard model. Cheap, quick and EZ.

For the Renix you have two ready-made choices--salvage yard original or Rusty's 4x4 for a tube.

Rusty's: http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...Product_Code=RP-AT11-XJ&Category_Code=PER_AIR

There are a number of lines hooked up to the stock air box. There should be a large duct type to the "stove", a small vacuum line to the thermal vacuum switch, and two medium lines, one to the front of the valve cover--filtered air intake for the CCV system, and the other runs around the engine compartment to the passenger's side of the engine.

Quick and easy changeover, if I remember two bolts and one nut.

If you choose Rusty's tube you eliminate the duct to the stove and the small vacuum line is just plugged (no more thermal vacuum switch).

Back