• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Have you ever broke a set of D30 Alloys?

C. When I had my D30, I ran stock shafts ground out for full circle clips.

Ended up taking 5 teeth off the ring gear before I could bust a shaft.

I'm not against D30 alloys, but you start moving the weak link to the diff. If you run a stock carrier...good luck to you, they're junk. Especially if you're on 35s.

B. I abused the axle by trying to climb up an undercut (thanks to inexperienced spotter) and the shaft snapped. Warranty took care of it and no issues since.

A bunch of us in the old days ran D30's with chromo shafts, both with snap ringed 297x joints and CTM's. I never saw a broken chromo D30 shaft. I broke a 297x joint once, didn't hurt the shaft. Two of the other guys (running 35's and CTM's) broke ring and pinions. One of the guys running 37's and CTM's broke a number of ring and pinions before he upgraded to a D60.

Interestingly, I broke my chromo shaft/CTM D44 on 37's a bunch of times, but only broke one 297x axle joint on the D30 with 33's, and never broke the D30 once I put CTM's in it (on 33's).

A: 5 years now locked and on 35's, no problems. Of course now that i said that, i will have a problem.:shhh:

B. Snapped a Yukon short side 1541 by trying to go up a ledge backwards. When I broke it I realized they gave me 1541 grade instead of 4340. Now I haven't had the same problem.

Stock shafts and no issues in the XJ, but,

In my CJ on 33x12.5's. . .

C: Broke a stock shaft - took out U-Joints
C: Broke a stock shaft - took out U-Joints
Replaced them with Alloys and CTMs
D: Broke a Ring and Pinion
B: Broke an inner shaft - the warranty EVENTUALLY took care of it.
B: Broke an outer shaft - the warranty EVENTUALLY took care of it.

My current set of alloys have had no breakage this season (they are still sitting on the bench in the shop) The stock shafts have lasted all season with no breakage. . .

I've been running Yukon alloy shafts and Super Joints for 2 years now, haven't broken any or had any other problems with the front diff. I did put an Ox up front, and that thick, stiff cover stiffens the pumpkin as a whole, minimizing ring gear problems by not allowing flex under load on the pumpkin itself.

Go with a Ruffstuff cover with countersunk holes. I think you should be good. I'll be interested to see if you encounter any breakage with the cryo treated gears. I've promised myself that if my pinion ever eats my ring gear I'll have the next set of gears cryo treated. I was thinking about instead of alloy shafts just having a set of stock shafts cryo treated.

Go with a Ruffstuff cover with countersunk holes. I think you should be good. I'll be interested to see if you encounter any breakage with the cryo treated gears. I've promised myself that if my pinion ever eats my ring gear I'll have the next set of gears cryo treated. I was thinking about instead of alloy shafts just having a set of stock shafts cryo treated.
Yea, i hear the treating is only about 50$ a gear set and theres a place locally that will do it, So why not.

Warn 27 Spline Alloys. Ox U-joints. Detroit. Trussed. 35's.

While backing up to let rigs go uphill at Big Sluice, I 'hopped it' and lost R&P.
While dropping into a hole, lost short-side Shaft and opened up Bearing in Detroit.
Warn shafts are now handled by Randy's R&P, paperwork is long gone, but they gave me a fair price on replacement.
Never lost a Warn Hub or OX U-Joint.
Crazy-strong u-joint moved the 'weak link' to the R&P.
35's, Detroit and three years of wheelin' fatigued the Alloy Shafts.
And yes, I still have the Dana 30...

I know the R&P is the wink link with a built D30. I was thinking about running 4.10s instead of 4.56s or .88s, to Keep the pinion size up. Im on 33s and would love to run 35s but i also want to keep the D30 reliable, Im thinking a truss, cryo'd 4.56s, a de-burred carrier, ten-factory alloys with 760s, and thick cover with an aussie, will stand up to some abuse with 33s.

a full carrier locker is going to be stronger, detroit,ox, arb. But if you can find an aftermarket carrier do that, or have your stock carrier cryoed.

Back