• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Jeep has a few problems

Jeremyxj

NAXJA Forum User
So i bought this jeep a couple weeks ago and it has some issues, first and most annoying that i want to get fixed is the fact that i dont think it ever comes out of four wheel drive, the transfercase unlocks but i dont think the hubs ever do being that my front driveline is always spinning, any tips on how to fix this? also when i bought the jeep the guy told me that the solid clunk in the front end was the superflex joint on the long arm on the drivers side. turns out that i took that joint apart and its in perfect shape, so i cleaned it up and put it all back together but i still have this terrible clunking when i go from lock to lock like when im backing out of parking spaces and such. any ideas?

first problem is not a problem. your front shaft will always spin. it does not mean your in 4wd.

the second problem sounds like a problem lol I have no idea.

bindage.. hmmm maybe it is in 4wd? i dont know. but in 2wd the front shaft does spin!

I had that problem with my front end. I'm trying to think what ended up getting replaced that solved the problem. I'll do a little research and let you know

If it has transfer case drop kit installed you should check the linkage. It can be out of adjustment and not fully disengaging. Just a WAG. Good luck.

The popping sounds like it's track bar related. Make sure the mount is tight. Have a buddy turn the wheel lock to lock, and feel all the joints for slop.

Does the Jeep have a front locker? If it's locked in the front it will bind when you turn sharp depending on the style of the locker. If you think it transfer case related, remove the front shaft and see if it's still there.

mmm ill definately look into the linkage and see if theres any problem there because it does have a t case drop.

It does have a locker but its an arb so i dont think thats the problem it seems to engage and disengage properly

Man, you're a member and you only have 7 post? Nice.

Ummm I'm with Torx on this one, sounds like a trackbar being loose. Does the Jeep hop around when turning, also is this under power or not (hitting the gas or not)? If not...probably not as likely related to the locker or 4wd/t-case. I can't imagen you'd get a clicking noise from the t-case without binding/hopping on dry pavement.

~Scott

The thing is that it only does it sometimes lastnight i backed into my parking spot and it was a fairly good jolt backwards followed by a good slam on the breaks being that i was tired and was just trying to park and today it hasnt bound up on me at all where it typically does when i turn sharp on dry pavement itl hop and push the front end instead of following it

Issue 1:

Lift all 4 wheels safely off the ground and go through the transfer case positions and see if it is working properly (low and Hi and 2wd and 4 wd) 2wd will only spin the front driveshaft while driving (from the wheels) not from the transfer case so with the wheels off the ground they should not be spinning.

Assuming this shows it is going in 2wd properly I suggest you pull your front driveshaft and see if anything changes. If not, then pull the front diff cover and take a look. There is a long list of items that it sounds like it "could" be.

Issue 2:
Clunks come from all sorts of places on Jeeps. have someone else turn the steering back and forth while you look under the front end at all joints (TB, UCA's, LCA's, Steering, ball joints, binding in any of them, etc).

TB is a common issue on lifted Jeeps.
The most common "clunk while turning" is ball joints (won't be so noticeable to see or hear while testing and not moving).

Good luck and keep us posted.
Michael
PS. It would be helpful if you gave us the rest of the specs while trying to work out issues (lockers, gears, mods, etc).

Check your steering box too. I had a clunk when I would back out of my drive way and turn sharp. Found a crack under my swaybar mount. It was easy enough to weld up and reinforce the box bolts. No more clunk.

Your not far from beaverton. PM me if you ever need a hand on your rig, or another set of eyes.

i might take you up on the glue, i work in beaverton and as far as the specs on the jeep go it has a 4 1/2 inch RE long arm lift, arb lockers front and rear, stock d44 in the rear, not sure about the front axle, was told it was swapped, not sure on that. t case is a 231, 4.0 litre dunno on the trans but more than likely stock. and the problem im having right now is i dont have much time to look at it but i have a feeling it has a lot to do with the steering because its all jacked up. how much would a new setup cost? preferribly highsteer

Mine does that too, Its the driver side coil hitting the track bar mount on the frame rail when you turn the wheel.Might not be your problem, but it's worth checking!:yap:

Back