• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper build, need ideas for corner

sullysxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ive started my build and im hung up on the corners. Frame mounts go about 16" back. I like how the front came out. Im stuck on the sides. i like how they kind of wrap around, but it seems like the sides look too chunky. and the way the angles are it kind ok looks sloppy. I like the 1 1/2 end section but im not sure how to transition from the 4" up to the 1 1/2... maybe pics will be less confusing. Not sure if you can tell, sides are two 45 degree angles... not a single 90 degree. The black marker is where i was thinking about cutting.
bearsandbumper035.jpg

bearsandbumper037.jpg

bearsandbumper041.jpg

bearsandbumper042.jpg

Just saw this pic posted by RCP Phx in another thread. Wrapping the 2x4 all the way to the fender flare doesn't look as bad as i thought it would.
012_12A.JPG

so i have to ask if you've seen mine... http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=928359

im assuming you looked at it, since its the same thing... annnyyywaysss i would have done mine much different if i could do it again. If i didnt have 2 other projects i prolly would. I did some really good wheeling 2 weekends ago at uhwarrie in NC, ill share my lessons about this design with you.
The skirt on mine is made of 1/4 inch diamond plate ( i have a love affair with the stuff ) and it is currently bent all to hell because i dragged it on EVERYTHING!
Also the approach angle on mine almost made me take it off and just run without one. Granted it sticks out about 700 inches because i had planned on mounting a winch, but i never did. A quick shout out to all of the kind NAXJA flamers out there... you were right, THERE I SAID IT! Are you happy now????
Check out the mounting brackets i did on mine, ive been winched out of door deep thick mud, dragged people around, been snached out, dropped off rocks and put the entire weight of the jeep on it hard enough to rattle my cage and also been in a a fender bender, it hasnt moved.
Make yourself a bigger rock window, you wont be happy with what it offers. Only put a skirt if you want it for lights like me, if you arent plannign on lights screw it. If your not planning on wheeling it the go for it with the design you have, i ALWAYS get complements on it.
Anyways bro, ill check in. if you have any questions feel free to ask. Looks good so far.
josh

haha. Yeah ive been reading up on the bumper builds lately, and worked out a game plan in my head. But damn it looks like i had the computer out in the driveway so i could see your build. Seriously though didn't mean to copy your chit.

haha im just messing with ya man. Its good to see that someone else thought it was a good idea. Seriously though, all the stuff i said i swear by. If i had to do it again i would pretty much cut that 4x4 tubing in half on the end and make and angle going up to that. If you want i can take pictures tomorrow of the carnage and post um up. If your intrested in that let me know. I have a really nice one of me hung up on a large rock with my front tires spinning...

I like the way yours is looking so far. I like the angled sides on it. Wish my bumper looked more like that.

umm pretty heavy, 3/16th tubing and all the plate is quarter. I can move it around and what not and it dosent drop the nose of the jeep at all.

Just saw this pic posted by RCP Phx in another thread. Wrapping the 2x4 all the way to the fender flare doesn't look as bad as i thought it would.
012_12A.JPG
Whats not seen there is how its built.I still havent seen anyone do a bumper thats contour to the body.Its stronger than most anything Ive seen also.Its part tube and part plate.It took a week and a full set(80cu/ft) of bottles to warp the top tube.Full build can be seen at....
001_1.JPG

http://cid-d978c996b9f94140.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/2000%20bumper
For my "plate" build winch bumper go to...
http://cid-d978c996b9f94140.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/1995%20bumper

My rear bumper weighs 115lbs without a tire carrier. Its out of 3/16" and 1/4". Ill just say it improved my shackle angle a bit. My front will be made of the same stuff cause its free.

Whats not seen there is how its built.I still havent seen anyone do a bumper thats contour to the body.Its stronger than most anything Ive seen also.Its part tube and part plate.It took a week and a full set(80cu/ft) of bottles to warp the top tube.Full build can be seen at....
001_1.JPG

http://cid-d978c996b9f94140.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/2000 bumper
For my "plate" build winch bumper go to...
http://cid-d978c996b9f94140.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/1995 bumper

You say its stronger then most, but is that as far back as your mounting plates go?, factory 3 plus 1?

You say its stronger then most, but is that as far back as your mounting plates go?, factory 3 plus 1?
Yeah,I extended them further back after seeing it almost completed(those pics are 9yrs old)!

Yikes. The suspension doesn't really look that rusty, does it? I really have to start buying jeeps from the south.

Welcome to NY! I said the same thing and looked for my next XJ in PA and NJ. I like your bumper, doesn't look bad at all.... continue with pride.

I went with using more of the 2x4 Tube and sloped it to mach the fender flare. I also boxed the ends and ground all of the welds smooth. Im pretty happy with how it ended up. i may add a small hoop to it later. Black paint goes on 1st thing tomorrow morning.
bumper004.jpg

bumper002.jpg

bumper006.jpg

bumper007.jpg

So i came up with this. It repaces the aluminum spacers. Im also thinking the flat plate will kind of make a sandwich the frame and the bumper bracket.
bumper011.jpg

bumper012.jpg

bumper014.jpg

Back