• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget Lift complete almost!!

cgriff54

NAXJA Forum User
I have finally completed 90% of my lift on my 1999 Cherokee. I added S10 leafs in the back (+4” over shaggy stock) and 88 Coils in the front (+3 over stock)”. I have some wobble but added a 2 degree shim in the rear and 1/2" TC drop. I still have a little vibration that I have to work out. Just a couple things that I need to wrap up and need some advice on.

The driver’s side tire is about 1” farther out then the passenger’s side tire, searched on this not sure how to fix this, relocate the track bar??

The steering wheel is out of alignment and needs to be re-centered, so I need to adjust the drag link to fix that.

I am planning on mounting my new Duratracs, and getting an alignment, I just need suggestions on how to resolve the tire shift issue, and do I need to have all this done before I get the new tires on and aligned?

Thanks

I have finally completed 90% of my lift on my 1999 Cherokee. I added S10 leafs in the back (+4” over shaggy stock) and 88 Coils in the front (+3 over stock)”. I have some wobble but added a 2 degree shim in the rear and 1/2" TC drop. I still have a little vibration that I have to work out. Just a couple things that I need to wrap up and need some advice on.

The driver’s side tire is about 1” farther out then the passenger’s side tire, searched on this not sure how to fix this, relocate the track bar??

The steering wheel is out of alignment and needs to be re-centered, so I need to adjust the drag link to fix that.

I am planning on mounting my new Duratracs, and getting an alignment, I just need suggestions on how to resolve the tire shift issue, and do I need to have all this done before I get the new tires on and aligned?

Thanks

Couple things herre. Your tire problem can be fixed with an adjustable track bar. Buy a new adjustable one. Don't relocate. Its more work than necessary.

With your steering wheel problem... If you just want the wheel centered, you can do that by the pitman arm. Unbolt draglink from pitman arm, center wheel, rebolt draglink. But... i'd rock the pro alignment first.

which S-10 leafs did you use. i am just about to do this to my 98 and i have a set of 2001 s-10 leafs which have 3leaves and overload, i got a set of JK shocks and springs off ebay for 9.99 and now i just need to get some front springs. what is the "88" springs you are refering to.

Post some pics up. Oh and BTW being near the 4" mark you should probably look into lower control arms and like said above an adjustable trackbar. im not sure you can relocate it and get it right with being over 3". My 2" had mine off enough to notice it but im not spending the money till i get it all ironed out and get my SYE installed

Pictures as requested

Before:
before.JPG

After:
finish.JPG

Rear lift:
s10a.JPG

XJ main leaf + 1997 S10 main, secondary, and overload, new Ubolts and spring clips.

Front:
front.JPG

AutoZone part # FCS784V

2 degree Shim
shim.JPG

5/8" Transfer Case drop
tcdrop.JPG

I will be added a bigger shim to the rear axle and removing the TC drop as soon as the new shim comes in.

Relocated break lines:
brakes.JPG

I am getting the new Wrangler Duratracs 31 10.5 15 put on tomorrow, followed by an alignment. I'll throw up some pictures when I get home.

New tires are on!!

Got the new tires on this afternoon!!! :woohoo: Goodyear DuraTracs 31 10.5 15
I think I might need to do a little trimming?

tires.jpg

Think I need to do a little trimming??

frontb.jpg

I still need to put the flares and bumper caps back on, just waiting for a warmer day to finish painting.

Not sure if you have straightened your steering wheel yet, the correct way to adjust the steering wheel is loosen the 2 bolts on the drag link and just turn the adjuster sleeve to adjust it you may need a good pair of channel locks or a pipe wrench. Turn till its straight and drive you may need to do it a couple of times to get it perfect. As for the track bar I agree just buy a new adjustable one, relocating them sucks it makes the mount weak and they often seem to work themselves loose.

Did you do an SYE?

No SYE have to save up for that, not really planning on lifting it any higher. Going to be my daily driver, just wanted a little more clearence for hunting season :cool:. The S10 leafes in the rear are brand new the truck they were put in was in a frontend accident less then a week after they were put on. So I am hoping that they will relax a little.

Got the Alignment yesterday and I have to say they did a great job, even though it took them more than an hour to do they did straighten my steering wheel, and the Jeep drives great. I can't believe how quiet my new tires are, the Duratracs are hardly even noticeable even at highway speeds. I can't wait to see how they handle on the trail. Going to camp next week I'll have to run it on a few trails then, might even see some snow!!

Hey, followup Q:
You said you are getting 3" of lift in the front... so from center of the axle hub to the fender flare, you are at 20.5? I only ask cause I've never heard of these springs before... sounds like a great set of coils, especially for the price!

Hey, followup Q:
You said you are getting 3" of lift in the front... so from center of the axle hub to the fender flare, you are at 20.5? I only ask cause I've never heard of these springs before... sounds like a great set of coils, especially for the price!

I just checked and I am at 22" in the front from center of the hub to the bottom of the fender. I have my flares off for painting.

Aluminum, for now I am going to order some steel ones soon, the local spring shop has to order them, along with a longer center pin. I want to replace the 2 degree shim and TC drop with just a 4 degree shim. I am just waiting on a longer head center pin for the thicker shim.

Wow man that t-case drop looks pretty sketch. Why not just get a 5/8" piece of steel stock, and drill 2 holes? Would put a lot less stress on the frame.

Wow man that t-case drop looks pretty sketch. Why not just get a 5/8" piece of steel stock, and drill 2 holes? Would put a lot less stress on the frame.

I only wanted to put in a temp fix and I already had the bolts and washers on hand, I even picked up some 1" square tube, but really do not want to drop my TC. I just needed something to quiet out the vibes until I found the right shims.

Good deal. At least you know the dangers of it. :) Looks good, good job.

Thanks, it was VERY nerve racking throughout the entire process, this is the most I have ever done to any vehicle. It's been a great confidence builder and a serious dose of pride. :patriot:

Back