• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pinch weld repair

jeddins

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished the dusy-ersham trail in my 87 xj. It was a hell of a ride with 31s and only 4.5" of lift but I made it, even after it dumped a ton of snow on us.

I came down pretty hard on the passenger side rock rails several times and it eventually pushed up my pinch weld. I'm using the custom 4x4 double tube rock guards that bolt to the frame and the pinch weld.

Does anyone know of the best way to pull the pinch weld area back down? I can still open the doors but the rock rails are right at the lower edge. I'm going to modify the rock rails to beef them up but I have to straighten the pinch weld area up first. I basically need to just grab it and pull it down but I'm not sure of how to accomplish that. Any ideas?

Slidehammer?

If you could get the rig in the air high enough, pulls the rock rail and get a clamping end on the slidehammer you might be able to pull it back down.

that's my thought too so far. I may temporarily weld tabs to the weld to slide hammer on. I'm going to pull it in the garage and set it on jack stands as high as I can but I don't know if I can get it high enough to use a good slide hammer. I wish I had sometihng on the garage floor to anchor to and then I would use a hydraulic bottle jack to slowly raise the car. Maybe I'll suck it up and ask a collison shop for an estimate. Thats sucks though.

Weld a tab onto a sturdy piece of tube long enough to get under the frame rail. Make the tab long enough to reach the pinch seam and bolt the tab to the seam then use the leverage to pull the seam down. You could also use a piece of chain bolted to the seam and slip the pipe through it.

Back