• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 from a 87 XJ

Ramairuss

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 89' XJ with a D35. I just landed a dana 44 from a 1987 Cherokee. I need to gear it (4.56) and lock it. I'm looking at all my options. I know not all D44s are the same so I need to know what other makes and models or D44 part's will swap into my 44. In other words, what will work and what won't.

Plus any other helpful ideas from experience would be cool!

that dana 44 is actually garbage. it was very problamatic.

the d35 in my garage was light-years stronger....

wanna..trade?

j/k

As long as you don't get D44 parts for a JK, or from a grand Cherokee D44a, you will be good. Obviously you would need low pinion gears, as the XJ44 is not high pinion.

Other than that, it will be a direct bolt into your '89. XJ suspension never changed through-out its production, so its all bolt in essentially.

And nw-xj-scott is only kidding if you didn't notice.

thats what i have under me 87. If you really want a solid, stable and fail safe locker may i suggest a Detroit as you are going to re-gear. I have one in my TJ rear and a ARB up front in the d30 and its near the perfect combo as you can turn the arb off for all but the hardest obsticals and the Detroit just keeps chugging. Understand its has a downside that is can be funny to drive on the street and you have to get used to the fact that you cannot power out of corners or i should say come off the power in a corner if thats how you went in. very strong too. think about the cost of going to a 33 spline too. as you will be getting a new carrier (if you went detroit) it would be just the cost of the shafts and then its pretty darn stupid strong back there. Alloy and Yukon and warn i think all do high spline count shafts.
Are the parking brake cables the same on both? I seem to remember something about needing a different one for the d44 but could be wrong.

I got a 89' XJ with a D35. I just landed a dana 44 from a 1987 Cherokee. I need to gear it (4.56) and lock it. I'm looking at all my options. I know not all D44s are the same so I need to know what other makes and models or D44 part's will swap into my 44. In other words, what will work and what won't.

Plus any other helpful ideas from experience would be cool!

Like was said, virtually all D44 parts are interchangeable. If you look for parts at any driveline vendor, if it says D44 it will fit. (not D44a) For stronger axle shafts, get the ones for an XJ/TJ.

Where are you in CA?

Other than that, it will be a direct bolt into your '89. XJ suspension never changed through-out its production, so its all bolt in essentially...

The pinion is about 1.5" longer. So to maintain the same driveshaft slip, you'll have to either shorten the shaft, or move the axle back that far.

Robert

The pinion is about 1.5" longer. So to maintain the same driveshaft slip, you'll have to either shorten the shaft, or move the axle back that far.

Robert

Thus the essentially bolt in part at the end. I was saying the axle itself will bolt right in.

Depending on year, you have to worry about e-brake cables, as well as driveshaft. But if you are lifted, then the driveshaft doesn't matter most likely, as was in my case.

I actually just got finished swapping in a D44 out of an 87 XJ. The e-brake cables from the D35 can be reused in the D44 (just had to adjust the tension after the swap). The ones for the D44 were equal length on pass and driver sides. However the ones that were on my heep and the D35, the drivers and pass are different lengths.

Like was said, virtually all D44 parts are interchangeable. If you look for parts at any driveline vendor, if it says D44 it will fit. (not D44a) For stronger axle shafts, get the ones for an XJ/TJ.

Where are you in CA?

Ok, so what is a D44a? I'm stationed at Vandenberg AFB near Santa Maria.

Thus the essentially bolt in part at the end. I was saying the axle itself will bolt right in.

Depending on year, you have to worry about e-brake cables, as well as driveshaft. But if you are lifted, then the driveshaft doesn't matter most likely, as was in my case.

I'm lifted 4.5 with a RE short arm. I also have the drive line from the donor XJ. In fact, I purchased the rear end with the jeep still attached. I will measure to see if there is a difference between the two. I also planned to carry one of the drive shafts as a spair.

Ok, so what is a D44a? I'm stationed at Vandenberg AFB near Santa Maria.

Ah - Vandy! Been there a few times...

The "D44A" is the revised D44 used under the second-gen Grand Cherokee with the aluminum centre section - where just about every other D44 used a regular iron centre section.

from some googling, the Rodeo D44s had either 4.10 or 4.30 gearing depending on what options were installed.

There's a complete Rubicon rear locker on E-bay right now, auction closes I think on Friday. Last time I looked, bidding was at $200.00. If you don't have gears yet, you can get "thick" 4.56s to match it.

Sorry, no link, you'll have to search.

Back