• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frustration thy name is jeep

kf_chris

NAXJA Forum User
So this weekend I thought it would be easy. I decided to go to the local PAP just outside of east knox to get a few yokes. To prepare for this I went to Sears and got a 33gal air compressor, and some air tools. Packed it all in a roll around box and headed out. Went friday and sprayed down a few accessible cherokee 8.25 rear yokes with PB Blaster. Returned saturday morning, worked for 4 hours with the impact tools and neither of the yokes I was working on came off. The nut gets to the point where the face is flush with the end of the threads on the shaft and is VERY hard to get further than that. The same part came off easily from my 95 rear, and my dad's 87 rear when I did those. Had to pack up after only 5 hours of working.
OH and I thought i had some issues with my "good" jeep. But it's making quite a racket in the #1 #2 cylinder area. Haven't had time to look at it but it's at my sister's house and she's under instruction not to drive it until I can get it home. This and I have yet to fix the ck engine light...which is in the wiring for the TPS I'm sure. Not enough time at home at all.
All I want is a useable jeep! Why is that so hard?

Sorry guys, had to vent.

Sorry to hear about the recent issues. I know how that goes.

Maybe you should pack up a verrrry long breaker bar and attack that nut.

Lol I hear ya man I have been having a lot of issues with mine it seems like Ive been logging more hrs into fixing it then driving it. Was coming back from helping a freind move this weekend and started hearing a grinding noise in the rear end. Turns out it was something going on with the brakes in the passenger side it blew brake fluid all over the place and i have no brakes any more. And it still makes grinding noises. And this is after i recently swapped out my rear end due to ring and pinion going. So go figure! Good luck with your jeeps though!

Sorry to hear about the recent issues. I know how that goes.

Maybe you should pack up a verrrry long breaker bar and attack that nut.
well I took a driveshaft and took the splined end and put it on the 2 foot breaker and still had a very hard time turning the nut on both jeeps.

Rear brakes are no fun, but if you buy the whole setup and do it at once it's easy (ish) and when you're done there are no worries about what's good and bad.

The problem is that the rust and metal contaminants are binding up in the threads. When you are removing and old, rusted pinion nut, take a cordless drill with a stainless wire brush attachment and remove all the rust and contaminants from the end of the pinion threads and put a dab of silicon grease on the threads before attempting to loosen the nut. It should come right off. At this point, you should tighten them back down and start over.

Yes I know what the problem is but I ran the nuts back down the threads and back off 3 times on each one. I just figured after 3 tries it would be a little easier is all.

yeah, jeeps will drive you crazy. they're kinda like girls and puppies. they look really appealing, but will drive you bonkers for a long time before you get them to act exactly how you want them to, but once you get them trained, it couldn't get any better.

honestly enough I don't think you should have to "train" any vehicle. We shouldn't need to know all the ins and outs of the vehicles that are particular. I had a few other kinds of vehicles, both overseas and in the US...those ran great with little to no problems. I like the practicality of an XJ but the frustrations are getting to me.

yeah.... xj's are that way, though. i was just tryin to be funny, though. i have noticed that they go longer between repairs if they stay pretty much stock. this is just my experience, though.

Yes I have NO plans for the 95. it's the errand runner/tow vehicle. It really is a great vehicle. The ujoint issue is 100% my fault.
I just feel that a mechanical system should work properly if all the pieces are assembled and maintained right. Which is the reason for frustration with my engine noise.

yeah, that does suck. that's the issue i'm having with my grand wagoneer. it was fairly well maintained by meself and the guy that had it before me, but still i have to deal with a major engine failure, at 114,000 miles. my current xj has 280k on the clock, and my old mj had 351k when i sold it, still running strong, quiet and smooth. i guess there are good ones and bad ones in every breed. (not necesarily the jeep's fault)

Oh I totally agree. I've seen (as we all have) cars of trusted makes have issues with little to no miles. My Dad's got a Commander with the 3.7 and they had a water pump failure at less than 35K miles, you wouldn't normally expect that.
I have 260K on the clock on the 95 and it runs great. Though...I have found evidence of some shady PO maintenance. The clips that hold the front ujoint on the rear DS weren't installed! How luck was I to have towed from WV to the house 3 times with that!
I hope to get home today and get my 95 fixed, then hopefully have enough time to get the 2000 home and get a better idea of what's wrong.

The problem is you need to beat it harder on the trails and give it a reason!

spam.jpg

Odd sound coming from the first 2 piston area. It's not the head I don't think. I hope to take the oil pan off and look from the bottom maybe tomorrow.

Hate to say it man, but from the video, it sounds like a rod bearing went kaput... may have to put the 67 on hold and let me build you a 4.6 Stroker!

You're funny man. It's tempting also. I need to check tomorrow seeing it's going to rain.
I knew it was BAD when I heard it a few weeks ago. It has plenty of power AND no loss of oil pressure. Though I did just do an oil change and now the oil up on the lifters and through the head while it's running is black with little metal crystals.

Back