• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

making a gastank skid need help and dimensions

pyrothugg

NAXJA Forum User
ok so heres the plan or future plan i guess till i have the money. i cant afford to throw down enough money to buy a new gas tank skid for my 01 so i am thinking of having my buddy make me one. right now im just gathering info on it so what i was wondering about were the dimensions for a gas tank skid or a write up i searched and couldnt find a decent one maybe im just to specific with my search i dont know but youd think thered be something out there. anyway im throwing in the towel and asking you guys to give me a hand.

im looking for plans and designs primarly if anybody knows the angles of the bends in the skid that would be helpful to

Search the Forum, I have seen more than one write-up for a homebuilt gas tank skid. One guy used a Class III hitch as the mounting point and dropped down some side plates and filled in with some bottom plates. If you have a couple of cardboard boxes and some duct tape you have all you need to make your own templates that fit your Cherokee.

The junkyards are full to the fences with Cash 4 Clunkers, you should be able to find an XJ or ZJ gas tank skid.

im planning on having a friend of mine fab a skid into my class III hitch pretty soon with some 1/2 inch black diamond plate. if its done before you get to it ill post up the measurments and some pics.

Thats gonna be one heavy skid.

I am planning on making one myself too. I will probably use 3/16" and 1/4". My rear bumper weighs close to 115lbs without the tire carrier that I plan on adding too. I will need to find a way to cut down on alot of weight.

good lord, is he planning on driving over a bomb or jumping off cliffs? half inch plate will fold the hitch frame well before it dents, I'd go with quarter or 3/16 and MAYBE some stiffeners on the back. If you're landing on things hard enough to need 1/2" armor on your gas tank you need to reconsider what vehicle you're driving.

EDIT: or reconsider driving, for that matter :scared:

Back