• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

won't crank

jeepneed

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998 Cherokee that won't crank. I have replaces the starter, battery, ignition switch and rebuilt the nss. I have checked the nss with a meter and it is functioning correctly. Also confirmed I am getting voltage to the starter but not getting any voltage to the silenoid. When you turn the key it sounds like the relay is clicking but no voltage to the starter??????

Please help. and thanks for reading

You did all of that for a no crank issue? Test, test, test.

How much resistance on the battery cables? Pull both ends of the cables and clean them, then measure the resistance.

Sorry a little back story... just got this one and it has been an intermitent problem. The battery was very old and the starter looked like the original. I was able to start in neutral for a couple of weeks but then finally died. That is when I rebuilt the nss (neutral starting and brake lights). I will take of the cable and test them should i also test the relay? If so not sure how to do that.

Thanks for the help.

Gotcha.

Testing the relay, if it is similar to the early models, is straight forward. On the early XJ the starter relay also functioned as the PDC. The early relay had a large lug with B+ to it and numerous smaller leads from it with fusible links. There is also three other connections, all male spade, one is IGN, one is GRND, and the other is SOL. The IGN terminal is 12v from the ignition switch in the START position. SOL is the 12v out to the solenoid when the relay is energized. GRND is a ground. On manual trans XJs it is just grounded to the PS fenderwell. On XJs with the auto I believe the ground is provided through the NSS, but I may be wrong. If you have the shifter in Park or Neutral, the GRND should be showing a ground, regardless of where it is connected.

So, with a pair of helping hands, hook up a 12v test light to the IGN connector and see if it lights. If it does, move on. If it doesn't there is an open somewhere that must be repaired.

If IGN is receiving 12v, and there is a GRND, then it should energize and allow 12v out at SOL. If it doesn't, replace the relay. If it does, then you have an open in the SOL to starter solenoid wire.

On the 2000, (likely same as '98), there is a relay in the PDC that activates the solenoid on the starter. The relay is still grounded through the NSS. Maybe wiggle the relays in and out to make sure they have good contact. If no success then, check current in to relay or maybe swapping relays around. My diagram shows that it is one of the 8 relays that all look alike. Second row from the back, second relay from the left.

Last edited:
Back